Oct 1, 2009, 10:26 AM EDT
Jose Reyes has been trying to rehab his bum leg all year. It ends poorly:
Mets shortstop Jose Reyes tore his right hamstring Tuesday while
running to test his torn hamstring tendon, a new injury that will
likely require surgery. The tear was revealed Wednesday afternoon when
Reyes underwent an MRI at the Hospital for Special Surgery.
It was the second time this season Reyes suffered a new injury while
rehabbing from an earlier one. He first went on the disabled list on
May 26 with tendinitis in his right calf, then tore the hamstring
tendon during an extended spring training game in early June.
It was apparent really early on in Reyes’ DL stint that the Mets, out of the race and suffering injury after injury, would not have a pressing need to have Reyes return in 2009. In light of that, a lot of people are going to be asking why oh why they didn’t operate on Reyes’ tendon when he tore it in June instead of messing around with rehab. If only someone had thought to mention it months ago . . .
Now the problem is way worse. Hamstrings are big important muscles, especially for guys whose game is speed. Bad hamstrings are what transformed Griffey from a gold glove centerfielder to a liability anywhere between the lines.
In a season of bad news for the Mets, this may be the worst of all.
- The Lester trade is a win-win 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 93
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 36
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (115)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)