Oct 1, 2009, 10:26 AM EDT
Jose Reyes has been trying to rehab his bum leg all year. It ends poorly:
Mets shortstop Jose Reyes tore his right hamstring Tuesday while
running to test his torn hamstring tendon, a new injury that will
likely require surgery. The tear was revealed Wednesday afternoon when
Reyes underwent an MRI at the Hospital for Special Surgery.
It was the second time this season Reyes suffered a new injury while
rehabbing from an earlier one. He first went on the disabled list on
May 26 with tendinitis in his right calf, then tore the hamstring
tendon during an extended spring training game in early June.
It was apparent really early on in Reyes’ DL stint that the Mets, out of the race and suffering injury after injury, would not have a pressing need to have Reyes return in 2009. In light of that, a lot of people are going to be asking why oh why they didn’t operate on Reyes’ tendon when he tore it in June instead of messing around with rehab. If only someone had thought to mention it months ago . . .
Now the problem is way worse. Hamstrings are big important muscles, especially for guys whose game is speed. Bad hamstrings are what transformed Griffey from a gold glove centerfielder to a liability anywhere between the lines.
In a season of bad news for the Mets, this may be the worst of all.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)