Oct 1, 2009, 10:26 AM EDT
Jose Reyes has been trying to rehab his bum leg all year. It ends poorly:
Mets shortstop Jose Reyes tore his right hamstring Tuesday while
running to test his torn hamstring tendon, a new injury that will
likely require surgery. The tear was revealed Wednesday afternoon when
Reyes underwent an MRI at the Hospital for Special Surgery.
It was the second time this season Reyes suffered a new injury while
rehabbing from an earlier one. He first went on the disabled list on
May 26 with tendinitis in his right calf, then tore the hamstring
tendon during an extended spring training game in early June.
It was apparent really early on in Reyes’ DL stint that the Mets, out of the race and suffering injury after injury, would not have a pressing need to have Reyes return in 2009. In light of that, a lot of people are going to be asking why oh why they didn’t operate on Reyes’ tendon when he tore it in June instead of messing around with rehab. If only someone had thought to mention it months ago . . .
Now the problem is way worse. Hamstrings are big important muscles, especially for guys whose game is speed. Bad hamstrings are what transformed Griffey from a gold glove centerfielder to a liability anywhere between the lines.
In a season of bad news for the Mets, this may be the worst of all.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)