Oct 1, 2009, 10:26 AM EST
Jose Reyes has been trying to rehab his bum leg all year. It ends poorly:
Mets shortstop Jose Reyes tore his right hamstring Tuesday while
running to test his torn hamstring tendon, a new injury that will
likely require surgery. The tear was revealed Wednesday afternoon when
Reyes underwent an MRI at the Hospital for Special Surgery.
It was the second time this season Reyes suffered a new injury while
rehabbing from an earlier one. He first went on the disabled list on
May 26 with tendinitis in his right calf, then tore the hamstring
tendon during an extended spring training game in early June.
It was apparent really early on in Reyes’ DL stint that the Mets, out of the race and suffering injury after injury, would not have a pressing need to have Reyes return in 2009. In light of that, a lot of people are going to be asking why oh why they didn’t operate on Reyes’ tendon when he tore it in June instead of messing around with rehab. If only someone had thought to mention it months ago . . .
Now the problem is way worse. Hamstrings are big important muscles, especially for guys whose game is speed. Bad hamstrings are what transformed Griffey from a gold glove centerfielder to a liability anywhere between the lines.
In a season of bad news for the Mets, this may be the worst of all.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 18
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)