Oct 1, 2009, 10:26 AM EDT
Jose Reyes has been trying to rehab his bum leg all year. It ends poorly:
Mets shortstop Jose Reyes tore his right hamstring Tuesday while
running to test his torn hamstring tendon, a new injury that will
likely require surgery. The tear was revealed Wednesday afternoon when
Reyes underwent an MRI at the Hospital for Special Surgery.
It was the second time this season Reyes suffered a new injury while
rehabbing from an earlier one. He first went on the disabled list on
May 26 with tendinitis in his right calf, then tore the hamstring
tendon during an extended spring training game in early June.
It was apparent really early on in Reyes’ DL stint that the Mets, out of the race and suffering injury after injury, would not have a pressing need to have Reyes return in 2009. In light of that, a lot of people are going to be asking why oh why they didn’t operate on Reyes’ tendon when he tore it in June instead of messing around with rehab. If only someone had thought to mention it months ago . . .
Now the problem is way worse. Hamstrings are big important muscles, especially for guys whose game is speed. Bad hamstrings are what transformed Griffey from a gold glove centerfielder to a liability anywhere between the lines.
In a season of bad news for the Mets, this may be the worst of all.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 28
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)