Oct 1, 2009, 10:40 AM EDT
Ten months ago, the Blue Jays laid off 40 people in their front office. Yesterday, they laid off more:
Another round of layoffs hit the Toronto Blue Jays on Wednesday, as cuts were made all across the business side of the organization. Interim CEO Paul Beeston, just back in the office after a vacation, said the total number of cuts was less than two dozen although he would not divulge a specific figure.
“The number was significant,” Beeston said from his office. “It’s not a pleasant thing to do but we felt it was necessary to ensure the long-term health of the organization.”
The Jays attendance went down by about 600,000 this year. They’re also owned by a media company — Rogers Communications — that has been hit particularly hard by the recession, so it’s understandable that they’re in financial trouble. Oh, and staring at a guaranteed $11 million raise for Vernon Wells in 2010 doesn’t help matters.
Given that they’re feeling the need to lay off people who make less than a million bucks combined, you have to figure that they’re going to take every opportunity this offseason to make cuts where it really matters: Finally trading Roy Halladay, for one thing. Getting a new G.M. that makes less money than Ricciardi for another.
No matter what they do, we’re entering a long, dark and depressing period for Blue Jays fans.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 171
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (172)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)