Oct 1, 2009, 10:40 AM EST
Ten months ago, the Blue Jays laid off 40 people in their front office. Yesterday, they laid off more:
Another round of layoffs hit the Toronto Blue Jays on Wednesday, as cuts were made all across the business side of the organization. Interim CEO Paul Beeston, just back in the office after a vacation, said the total number of cuts was less than two dozen although he would not divulge a specific figure.
“The number was significant,” Beeston said from his office. “It’s not a pleasant thing to do but we felt it was necessary to ensure the long-term health of the organization.”
The Jays attendance went down by about 600,000 this year. They’re also owned by a media company — Rogers Communications — that has been hit particularly hard by the recession, so it’s understandable that they’re in financial trouble. Oh, and staring at a guaranteed $11 million raise for Vernon Wells in 2010 doesn’t help matters.
Given that they’re feeling the need to lay off people who make less than a million bucks combined, you have to figure that they’re going to take every opportunity this offseason to make cuts where it really matters: Finally trading Roy Halladay, for one thing. Getting a new G.M. that makes less money than Ricciardi for another.
No matter what they do, we’re entering a long, dark and depressing period for Blue Jays fans.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 38
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)