Oct 1, 2009, 11:59 AM EDT
Boston’s blowout loss to Toronto last night featured all sorts of amusing stuff, as long as you’re not a Red Sox fan. And really they shouldn’t even mind too much, after clinching a playoff spot the previous night.
For starters, the third-highest-scoring team in the league trotted out a lineup that surrounded cleanup hitter David Ortiz with the motley crew of Joey Gathright, Josh Reddick, Casey Kotchman, Rocco Baldelli, George Kottaras, Alex Gonzalez, Jed Lowrie, and Chris Woodward.
To the surprise of no one they were shut out by Roy Halladay, who allowed just three hits, all of them singles, and needed only 100 pitches to record 27 outs.
Fourth-string catcher Dusty Brown set a team record by becoming the third position player to pitch for the Red Sox this season when he took the mound in the ninth inning and turned an 11-0 deficit into a 12-0 deficit. As manager Terry Francona said afterward: “Any time we get to Dusty Brown pitching, it’s a tough night.” On the other hand, Brown was the closer at Yavapai Community College in 2001.
Last but not least Baldelli started in right field and then moved to third base in the seventh inning. Not only had he never appeared at third base in six seasons as a major leaguer, Baldelli revealed afterward that he’d played the position for a grand total of one game since high school. Sadly, nothing was hit his way in three innings at the hot corner. “I thought I needed a cup, so I got one from Mike [Lowell], and Youk gave me his glove, and that was it,” said Baldelli, who smartly chose not to follow in Adrian Beltre’s footsteps.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 4
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 19
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 37
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (186)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)