Oct 1, 2009, 11:59 AM EDT
Boston’s blowout loss to Toronto last night featured all sorts of amusing stuff, as long as you’re not a Red Sox fan. And really they shouldn’t even mind too much, after clinching a playoff spot the previous night.
For starters, the third-highest-scoring team in the league trotted out a lineup that surrounded cleanup hitter David Ortiz with the motley crew of Joey Gathright, Josh Reddick, Casey Kotchman, Rocco Baldelli, George Kottaras, Alex Gonzalez, Jed Lowrie, and Chris Woodward.
To the surprise of no one they were shut out by Roy Halladay, who allowed just three hits, all of them singles, and needed only 100 pitches to record 27 outs.
Fourth-string catcher Dusty Brown set a team record by becoming the third position player to pitch for the Red Sox this season when he took the mound in the ninth inning and turned an 11-0 deficit into a 12-0 deficit. As manager Terry Francona said afterward: “Any time we get to Dusty Brown pitching, it’s a tough night.” On the other hand, Brown was the closer at Yavapai Community College in 2001.
Last but not least Baldelli started in right field and then moved to third base in the seventh inning. Not only had he never appeared at third base in six seasons as a major leaguer, Baldelli revealed afterward that he’d played the position for a grand total of one game since high school. Sadly, nothing was hit his way in three innings at the hot corner. “I thought I needed a cup, so I got one from Mike [Lowell], and Youk gave me his glove, and that was it,” said Baldelli, who smartly chose not to follow in Adrian Beltre’s footsteps.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)