Oct 2, 2009, 12:23 PM EDT
* It’s not often that you’ll see a batter get plunked in the leg by a pitch and then angrily yell at someone in his own dugout, but that’s exactly what happened yesterday with Delmon Young. And the Twins are blaming rookie reliever Jose Mijares for the whole mess.
* Billy Wagner has pitched in 16 games since returning from Tommy John elbow surgery, posting a 1.80 ERA and 24/8 K/BB ratio in 15 innings, and may be ready to work back-to-back games in the playoffs if needed.
* With three games remaining the Angels have already set a franchise record for runs scored in a season, as their 869 runs rank second to only the Yankees at 898.
* Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that Daniel Cabrera “is open to the idea of working more as a reliever in the future.” I’ve often wondered why no team has turned Cabrera into a reliever yet, because for all the talk of a mid-90s fastball and occasionally overpowering raw stuff he has a 48-64 record and 5.10 ERA in 154 career starts while never posting an ERA below 4.50. Time to give up that dream.
* Upset by his recent inactivity in the Brewers’ bullpen, Seth McClung has been venting his frustration on Twitter.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)