Oct 2, 2009, 12:23 PM EDT
* It’s not often that you’ll see a batter get plunked in the leg by a pitch and then angrily yell at someone in his own dugout, but that’s exactly what happened yesterday with Delmon Young. And the Twins are blaming rookie reliever Jose Mijares for the whole mess.
* Billy Wagner has pitched in 16 games since returning from Tommy John elbow surgery, posting a 1.80 ERA and 24/8 K/BB ratio in 15 innings, and may be ready to work back-to-back games in the playoffs if needed.
* With three games remaining the Angels have already set a franchise record for runs scored in a season, as their 869 runs rank second to only the Yankees at 898.
* Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that Daniel Cabrera “is open to the idea of working more as a reliever in the future.” I’ve often wondered why no team has turned Cabrera into a reliever yet, because for all the talk of a mid-90s fastball and occasionally overpowering raw stuff he has a 48-64 record and 5.10 ERA in 154 career starts while never posting an ERA below 4.50. Time to give up that dream.
* Upset by his recent inactivity in the Brewers’ bullpen, Seth McClung has been venting his frustration on Twitter.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 20
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)