Oct 2, 2009, 12:23 PM EDT
* It’s not often that you’ll see a batter get plunked in the leg by a pitch and then angrily yell at someone in his own dugout, but that’s exactly what happened yesterday with Delmon Young. And the Twins are blaming rookie reliever Jose Mijares for the whole mess.
* Billy Wagner has pitched in 16 games since returning from Tommy John elbow surgery, posting a 1.80 ERA and 24/8 K/BB ratio in 15 innings, and may be ready to work back-to-back games in the playoffs if needed.
* With three games remaining the Angels have already set a franchise record for runs scored in a season, as their 869 runs rank second to only the Yankees at 898.
* Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that Daniel Cabrera “is open to the idea of working more as a reliever in the future.” I’ve often wondered why no team has turned Cabrera into a reliever yet, because for all the talk of a mid-90s fastball and occasionally overpowering raw stuff he has a 48-64 record and 5.10 ERA in 154 career starts while never posting an ERA below 4.50. Time to give up that dream.
* Upset by his recent inactivity in the Brewers’ bullpen, Seth McClung has been venting his frustration on Twitter.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 31
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 41
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 45
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 19
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)