Oct 2, 2009, 2:31 PM EDT
Las Vegas police have issued an arrest warrant for former Rockies, Yankees, Pirates, and Astros pitcher Shawn Chacon after he allegedly failed to pay $150,000 in gambling debts to Caesars Palace.
Chacon was let go by the Astros in the middle of last season after having a physical altercation with Ed Wade, reportedly grabbing the 53-year-old general manager by the neck and throwing him to the ground. Seriously.
Since then he’s pitched in an independent league before latching on with the A’s affiliate in the Pacific Coast League, posting a 6.29 ERA in 14 starts at Triple-A. In other words things haven’t been going so well for Chacon lately.
He looks finished as a big leaguer at the age of 31 after going 45-61 with a 4.99 ERA in 922 career innings. He also earned more than $15 million during his eight seasons in the majors, which seemingly either means that Chacon is just being stubborn about paying his gambling debts or he’s blown through all that money. I’d bet on the latter, though probably not for $150,000.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)