Oct 2, 2009, 2:31 PM EDT
Las Vegas police have issued an arrest warrant for former Rockies, Yankees, Pirates, and Astros pitcher Shawn Chacon after he allegedly failed to pay $150,000 in gambling debts to Caesars Palace.
Chacon was let go by the Astros in the middle of last season after having a physical altercation with Ed Wade, reportedly grabbing the 53-year-old general manager by the neck and throwing him to the ground. Seriously.
Since then he’s pitched in an independent league before latching on with the A’s affiliate in the Pacific Coast League, posting a 6.29 ERA in 14 starts at Triple-A. In other words things haven’t been going so well for Chacon lately.
He looks finished as a big leaguer at the age of 31 after going 45-61 with a 4.99 ERA in 922 career innings. He also earned more than $15 million during his eight seasons in the majors, which seemingly either means that Chacon is just being stubborn about paying his gambling debts or he’s blown through all that money. I’d bet on the latter, though probably not for $150,000.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 3
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 11
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (87)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (75)