Oct 2, 2009, 2:31 PM EDT
Las Vegas police have issued an arrest warrant for former Rockies, Yankees, Pirates, and Astros pitcher Shawn Chacon after he allegedly failed to pay $150,000 in gambling debts to Caesars Palace.
Chacon was let go by the Astros in the middle of last season after having a physical altercation with Ed Wade, reportedly grabbing the 53-year-old general manager by the neck and throwing him to the ground. Seriously.
Since then he’s pitched in an independent league before latching on with the A’s affiliate in the Pacific Coast League, posting a 6.29 ERA in 14 starts at Triple-A. In other words things haven’t been going so well for Chacon lately.
He looks finished as a big leaguer at the age of 31 after going 45-61 with a 4.99 ERA in 922 career innings. He also earned more than $15 million during his eight seasons in the majors, which seemingly either means that Chacon is just being stubborn about paying his gambling debts or he’s blown through all that money. I’d bet on the latter, though probably not for $150,000.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 62
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 41
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)