Oct 2, 2009, 2:31 PM EST
Las Vegas police have issued an arrest warrant for former Rockies, Yankees, Pirates, and Astros pitcher Shawn Chacon after he allegedly failed to pay $150,000 in gambling debts to Caesars Palace.
Chacon was let go by the Astros in the middle of last season after having a physical altercation with Ed Wade, reportedly grabbing the 53-year-old general manager by the neck and throwing him to the ground. Seriously.
Since then he’s pitched in an independent league before latching on with the A’s affiliate in the Pacific Coast League, posting a 6.29 ERA in 14 starts at Triple-A. In other words things haven’t been going so well for Chacon lately.
He looks finished as a big leaguer at the age of 31 after going 45-61 with a 4.99 ERA in 922 career innings. He also earned more than $15 million during his eight seasons in the majors, which seemingly either means that Chacon is just being stubborn about paying his gambling debts or he’s blown through all that money. I’d bet on the latter, though probably not for $150,000.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)