Oct 2, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
Most of us thought it was pretty wacky when Ted Williams’ late son John had the Splendid Splinter’s body frozen in liquid nitrogen following his 2002 death, but based on a new book coming out, we had no idea just how wacky it really was. Wait, wacky isn’t the right word. Try “horrific”:
Workers at an Arizona cryonics facility mutilated the frozen head of baseball legend Ted Williams — even using it for a bizarre batting practice, a new tell-all book claims.
In “Frozen,” Larry Johnson, a former exec at the Alcor Life Extension Foundation in Scottsdale, Arizona, graphically describes how The Splendid Splinter” was beheaded, his head frozen and repeatedly abused . . .Johnson writes that in July 2002, shortly after the Red Sox slugger died at age 83, technicians with no medical certification gleefully photographed and used crude equipment to decapitate the majors’ last .400 hitter.
Williams’ severed head was then frozen, and even used for batting practice by a technician trying to dislodge it from a tuna fish can.
I highly encourage you to read the whole article — the only one you’ll read today with the sentence “spraying “tiny pieces of frozen head” around the room.”
I likewise encourage you to consider cremation.
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 107
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 55
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (107)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (95)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team