Oct 2, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
Most of us thought it was pretty wacky when Ted Williams’ late son John had the Splendid Splinter’s body frozen in liquid nitrogen following his 2002 death, but based on a new book coming out, we had no idea just how wacky it really was. Wait, wacky isn’t the right word. Try “horrific”:
Workers at an Arizona cryonics facility mutilated the frozen head of baseball legend Ted Williams — even using it for a bizarre batting practice, a new tell-all book claims.
In “Frozen,” Larry Johnson, a former exec at the Alcor Life Extension Foundation in Scottsdale, Arizona, graphically describes how The Splendid Splinter” was beheaded, his head frozen and repeatedly abused . . .Johnson writes that in July 2002, shortly after the Red Sox slugger died at age 83, technicians with no medical certification gleefully photographed and used crude equipment to decapitate the majors’ last .400 hitter.
Williams’ severed head was then frozen, and even used for batting practice by a technician trying to dislodge it from a tuna fish can.
I highly encourage you to read the whole article — the only one you’ll read today with the sentence “spraying “tiny pieces of frozen head” around the room.”
I likewise encourage you to consider cremation.
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 46
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)