Oct 3, 2009, 10:45 AM EDT
The Tigers had a three game lead with four to play. No team in that position has ever failed to make the playoffs. With their loss last night and the Twins’ win, the Tigers are threatening to make history. According to a couple of game reports I read, they were even getting some boos. Boos? Really? But everything I read has told me that the Tigers are totally saving Detroit. Ingrates.
The good news for Detroit is that the Twins have to face Zack Greinke this afternoon, while the Tigers get Freddy Garcia. If things go according to expectations, Detroit will pop some champagne this evening. If Minnesota beats up Greinke, however, the Twins will start to give off that team-of-destiny stench.
Yes, the Tigers could still win the division tomorrow if they had to, but they really don’t want to take it that far. For one thing, the matchups don’t favor them: the Twins will face Luke Hochevar while the Tigers face Jon Danks.
Another reason why tonight is a must-win (and a Twins must-lose) for Detroit? Because if Detroit has to play to win tomorrow, they’ll have to run Justin Verlander out against the White Sox. That would make him unavailable to pitch in Game 1 of the ALDS against the Yankees, and if the Tigers make it that far, they’ll want to be able to start with their ace.
Of course, with things going the way they are, they’ll be thanking their lucky stars if they have to worry about ALDS matchups.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 3
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)