Oct 3, 2009, 10:45 AM EDT
The Tigers had a three game lead with four to play. No team in that position has ever failed to make the playoffs. With their loss last night and the Twins’ win, the Tigers are threatening to make history. According to a couple of game reports I read, they were even getting some boos. Boos? Really? But everything I read has told me that the Tigers are totally saving Detroit. Ingrates.
The good news for Detroit is that the Twins have to face Zack Greinke this afternoon, while the Tigers get Freddy Garcia. If things go according to expectations, Detroit will pop some champagne this evening. If Minnesota beats up Greinke, however, the Twins will start to give off that team-of-destiny stench.
Yes, the Tigers could still win the division tomorrow if they had to, but they really don’t want to take it that far. For one thing, the matchups don’t favor them: the Twins will face Luke Hochevar while the Tigers face Jon Danks.
Another reason why tonight is a must-win (and a Twins must-lose) for Detroit? Because if Detroit has to play to win tomorrow, they’ll have to run Justin Verlander out against the White Sox. That would make him unavailable to pitch in Game 1 of the ALDS against the Yankees, and if the Tigers make it that far, they’ll want to be able to start with their ace.
Of course, with things going the way they are, they’ll be thanking their lucky stars if they have to worry about ALDS matchups.
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)