Oct 3, 2009, 10:10 AM EDT
The Orioles had one of their worst years ever, and got worse as the year went on. Despite that, they’re keeping Dave Trembley:
Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail announced Friday
that manager Dave Trembley will return for the 2010 season, ending
rampant speculation that Trembley’s tenure was nearing an end.
The announcement that the Orioles had exercised Trembley’s option came
less than 24 hours after they broke a 13-game losing streak, the
third-longest in club history, and hours before they defeated the Toronto Blue Jays to begin the season’s final series. They still need to win one of two
remaining games to avoid the third 100-loss season in team history.
I’m of two minds on this one. On the one hand, it’s not his fault that he was given a crappy pitching staff, had veterans traded away in midseason and had key players — notably Adam Jones — injured. To put it mildly, this team is a work in progress, and Trembley isn’t responsible for the unfinished parts. Still, a 100-loss season is a 100-loss season, and the second half swoon was something to behold. The fans in Baltimore are dispirited and it’s not like Trembley is some tactical genius.
I think there are worse offenses against nature than keeping Dave Trembley on board, but if I was running the team, I’d probably let him go.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)