Oct 3, 2009, 10:10 AM EDT
The Orioles had one of their worst years ever, and got worse as the year went on. Despite that, they’re keeping Dave Trembley:
Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail announced Friday
that manager Dave Trembley will return for the 2010 season, ending
rampant speculation that Trembley’s tenure was nearing an end.
The announcement that the Orioles had exercised Trembley’s option came
less than 24 hours after they broke a 13-game losing streak, the
third-longest in club history, and hours before they defeated the Toronto Blue Jays to begin the season’s final series. They still need to win one of two
remaining games to avoid the third 100-loss season in team history.
I’m of two minds on this one. On the one hand, it’s not his fault that he was given a crappy pitching staff, had veterans traded away in midseason and had key players — notably Adam Jones — injured. To put it mildly, this team is a work in progress, and Trembley isn’t responsible for the unfinished parts. Still, a 100-loss season is a 100-loss season, and the second half swoon was something to behold. The fans in Baltimore are dispirited and it’s not like Trembley is some tactical genius.
I think there are worse offenses against nature than keeping Dave Trembley on board, but if I was running the team, I’d probably let him go.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 5
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 92
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (92)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)