Oct 3, 2009, 10:10 AM EDT
The Orioles had one of their worst years ever, and got worse as the year went on. Despite that, they’re keeping Dave Trembley:
Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail announced Friday
that manager Dave Trembley will return for the 2010 season, ending
rampant speculation that Trembley’s tenure was nearing an end.
The announcement that the Orioles had exercised Trembley’s option came
less than 24 hours after they broke a 13-game losing streak, the
third-longest in club history, and hours before they defeated the Toronto Blue Jays to begin the season’s final series. They still need to win one of two
remaining games to avoid the third 100-loss season in team history.
I’m of two minds on this one. On the one hand, it’s not his fault that he was given a crappy pitching staff, had veterans traded away in midseason and had key players — notably Adam Jones — injured. To put it mildly, this team is a work in progress, and Trembley isn’t responsible for the unfinished parts. Still, a 100-loss season is a 100-loss season, and the second half swoon was something to behold. The fans in Baltimore are dispirited and it’s not like Trembley is some tactical genius.
I think there are worse offenses against nature than keeping Dave Trembley on board, but if I was running the team, I’d probably let him go.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL