Bobby Valentine is talking to the Florida Marlins

Oct 5, 2009, 8:55 AM EST

Fredi Gonzalez won 87 games with a team that makes a few sheckles above minimum wage and is considered one of the better managers in baseball. So it makes perfect sense that he’s rumored to be on his way out:

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria is said to be less than satisfied with his
team’s standing, and in a fairly shocking development is apparently
considering replacing well-regarded manager Fredi Gonzalez, who has
been widely praised for his performance this season. The Marlins are 87-74 under Gonzalez despite a league-low $36 million
payroll, but people familiar with the situation say Loria believes the
team is good enough to have made the postseason.

These same “people familiar with the situation” say that Valentine is talking to the Marlins about a job. I suppose it’s possible that they’re talking about a GM or some other kind of front office position, but it’s not like he has any experience with that kind of thing.

I can’t at all feature the Marlins hiring the guy. In addition to the fact that Gonzalez is a good manager, he’s under contract for two more years at what I can only assume is a much lower price than what Valentine would ask for even one year.  And sure, it’s possible that Valentine has undergone a sea change in personality during his time in Japan, but he never struck me as the kind of guy who would thrive in a low-resources kind of environment like Florida.

The same article has the Indians and Nats interested in Valentine as well. Neither of those seem like great fits for the guy — the Indians less so than the Nats — but at least they have job openings.

1. Kirk - Oct 5, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Valentine in Flordia. Interesting! If I were Valentine, I would take the offer if there really is one. The only downside to that situation for Valentine is Loria. Loria will most likely reward Fredi’s excellent performance with a firing. It would be ironic if Valentine goes to Florida next year and gets them a championship while Jerry Manuel (or his replacement) watches in disbelief from the opposite dugout. I can not understand why Manuel is still running the team. It is very unlikely that he will lead the team to a championship next year. After watching his team forget about basic fundamentals on the field in 2009, it is hard to believe that anything will be different in 2010.
    Jeff, if you are reading this, you better go after and get Valentine ASAP! He will not be on ESPN for much longer. He is the best fit for the Mets field job. If you want to restore any faith in the fans, please sign him up no later than the end of October. Like many fans, I have been to and seen Citifield this year already, and plan to cancel my season ticket plan unless Manuel is gone. No reason to go in 2010 if Jerry is back. Give me a reason to want to repurchase the ticket plan.

2. Pdiddy - Oct 5, 2009 at 11:15 AM

One of the better managers, are you kidding me? His players hate him! The Marlins won 87 games because they have a great young talent not because of the idiot that manages the team.

3. Grant - Oct 5, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Loria has a history of feuding/meddling with managers, does he not? This doesn’t really shock me. He’s a pretty oily owner overall (to say the least).

4. M - Oct 5, 2009 at 12:33 PM

The Braves would love to have Fredi Gonzalez back, you can have Bobby V. What has he ever won?

5. Kevin S. - Oct 5, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Well, he has won the NL pennant (in 2000), and his Mets did win the wild card in back to back years. It’s not a World Series, but it is *something*.
    I’d include his Japanese exploits, but somehow I get the feeling they’d only be met with derision.

6. luis - Oct 5, 2009 at 2:19 PM

If Mr. Loria wants to replace someone; he should replace himself first n while he’s at it he could also replace Dave Samson for lack of team support. Gonzalez has done a great job with what he was given. Maybe next year Mr. Loria & Mr. Samson aka The Penny Pincher’s they could open their check book and spend some money for team support…but I rather see Loria and Samson leave.

7. steve - Oct 5, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Give Freddie credit, he made lemonade out of lemons when it comes to the Marlins pitching staff, only 1 starter and 2 relievers were consistantly good this season. Jeffrey spend some of $ you get from the other teams and put 2 more starters and a closer with that powerful lineup and you’ll have a World Series team.

8. love calculator - Feb 6, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Hello, I was researching the net for ideas for valentines day and I came across your site. Keep up the good work.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5864)