Oct 5, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT
Fredi Gonzalez won 87 games with a team that makes a few sheckles above minimum wage and is considered one of the better managers in baseball. So it makes perfect sense that he’s rumored to be on his way out:
Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria is said to be less than satisfied with his
team’s standing, and in a fairly shocking development is apparently
considering replacing well-regarded manager Fredi Gonzalez, who has
been widely praised for his performance this season. The Marlins are 87-74 under Gonzalez despite a league-low $36 million
payroll, but people familiar with the situation say Loria believes the
team is good enough to have made the postseason.
These same “people familiar with the situation” say that Valentine is talking to the Marlins about a job. I suppose it’s possible that they’re talking about a GM or some other kind of front office position, but it’s not like he has any experience with that kind of thing.
I can’t at all feature the Marlins hiring the guy. In addition to the fact that Gonzalez is a good manager, he’s under contract for two more years at what I can only assume is a much lower price than what Valentine would ask for even one year. And sure, it’s possible that Valentine has undergone a sea change in personality during his time in Japan, but he never struck me as the kind of guy who would thrive in a low-resources kind of environment like Florida.
The same article has the Indians and Nats interested in Valentine as well. Neither of those seem like great fits for the guy — the Indians less so than the Nats — but at least they have job openings.
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 0
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 19
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 24
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)