Oct 5, 2009, 12:14 PM EDT
* Jessica Camerato of WEEI.com wrote about the sad story of Alex Gonzalez’s three-year-old son, who slipped into a coma in July of 2007 after battling complications as a result of being born premature.
“Fight until the end,” Gonzalez said. “We’ve been fighting for three years. I think he’s a strong kid. He’s had around six or seven surgeries. He’s a strong kid, he’s a great fighter.”
* One of my favorite announcers, Jon Sciambi, is leaving the Braves’ local broadcasts for a full-time job at ESPN. Congrats to Boog, who in addition to being one of the best play-by-play men in the business is a really nice, smart guy who isn’t afraid to quote on-base percentages and Zone Ratings instead of batting averages and errors.
* Jim Callis of Baseball America has the first-round order for next June’s draft, which will begin with the 103-loss Nationals and end with the 103-win Yankees. There will be 32 first-round picks next year because both the Rangers and Rays receive compensatory picks for failing to sign this year’s first rounder.
* MLB.com’s Lyle Spencer notes that Mike Scioscia “is the first manager in history to send teams to postseason play six times in his first 10 years.”
* Unless he goes 0-for-18 in tomorrow’s one-game playoff with the Tigers, Joe Mauer has captured his third batting title in four seasons.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 13
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 217
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 140
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (220)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (140)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)