Oct 5, 2009, 12:14 PM EST
* Jessica Camerato of WEEI.com wrote about the sad story of Alex Gonzalez’s three-year-old son, who slipped into a coma in July of 2007 after battling complications as a result of being born premature.
“Fight until the end,” Gonzalez said. “We’ve been fighting for three years. I think he’s a strong kid. He’s had around six or seven surgeries. He’s a strong kid, he’s a great fighter.”
* One of my favorite announcers, Jon Sciambi, is leaving the Braves’ local broadcasts for a full-time job at ESPN. Congrats to Boog, who in addition to being one of the best play-by-play men in the business is a really nice, smart guy who isn’t afraid to quote on-base percentages and Zone Ratings instead of batting averages and errors.
* Jim Callis of Baseball America has the first-round order for next June’s draft, which will begin with the 103-loss Nationals and end with the 103-win Yankees. There will be 32 first-round picks next year because both the Rangers and Rays receive compensatory picks for failing to sign this year’s first rounder.
* MLB.com’s Lyle Spencer notes that Mike Scioscia “is the first manager in history to send teams to postseason play six times in his first 10 years.”
* Unless he goes 0-for-18 in tomorrow’s one-game playoff with the Tigers, Joe Mauer has captured his third batting title in four seasons.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 54
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 33
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)