Oct 5, 2009, 12:14 PM EDT
* Jessica Camerato of WEEI.com wrote about the sad story of Alex Gonzalez’s three-year-old son, who slipped into a coma in July of 2007 after battling complications as a result of being born premature.
“Fight until the end,” Gonzalez said. “We’ve been fighting for three years. I think he’s a strong kid. He’s had around six or seven surgeries. He’s a strong kid, he’s a great fighter.”
* One of my favorite announcers, Jon Sciambi, is leaving the Braves’ local broadcasts for a full-time job at ESPN. Congrats to Boog, who in addition to being one of the best play-by-play men in the business is a really nice, smart guy who isn’t afraid to quote on-base percentages and Zone Ratings instead of batting averages and errors.
* Jim Callis of Baseball America has the first-round order for next June’s draft, which will begin with the 103-loss Nationals and end with the 103-win Yankees. There will be 32 first-round picks next year because both the Rangers and Rays receive compensatory picks for failing to sign this year’s first rounder.
* MLB.com’s Lyle Spencer notes that Mike Scioscia “is the first manager in history to send teams to postseason play six times in his first 10 years.”
* Unless he goes 0-for-18 in tomorrow’s one-game playoff with the Tigers, Joe Mauer has captured his third batting title in four seasons.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)