Oct 5, 2009, 12:14 PM EDT
* Jessica Camerato of WEEI.com wrote about the sad story of Alex Gonzalez’s three-year-old son, who slipped into a coma in July of 2007 after battling complications as a result of being born premature.
“Fight until the end,” Gonzalez said. “We’ve been fighting for three years. I think he’s a strong kid. He’s had around six or seven surgeries. He’s a strong kid, he’s a great fighter.”
* One of my favorite announcers, Jon Sciambi, is leaving the Braves’ local broadcasts for a full-time job at ESPN. Congrats to Boog, who in addition to being one of the best play-by-play men in the business is a really nice, smart guy who isn’t afraid to quote on-base percentages and Zone Ratings instead of batting averages and errors.
* Jim Callis of Baseball America has the first-round order for next June’s draft, which will begin with the 103-loss Nationals and end with the 103-win Yankees. There will be 32 first-round picks next year because both the Rangers and Rays receive compensatory picks for failing to sign this year’s first rounder.
* MLB.com’s Lyle Spencer notes that Mike Scioscia “is the first manager in history to send teams to postseason play six times in his first 10 years.”
* Unless he goes 0-for-18 in tomorrow’s one-game playoff with the Tigers, Joe Mauer has captured his third batting title in four seasons.
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 9
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 15
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 35
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 44
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)