Oct 5, 2009, 12:14 PM EDT
* Jessica Camerato of WEEI.com wrote about the sad story of Alex Gonzalez’s three-year-old son, who slipped into a coma in July of 2007 after battling complications as a result of being born premature.
“Fight until the end,” Gonzalez said. “We’ve been fighting for three years. I think he’s a strong kid. He’s had around six or seven surgeries. He’s a strong kid, he’s a great fighter.”
* One of my favorite announcers, Jon Sciambi, is leaving the Braves’ local broadcasts for a full-time job at ESPN. Congrats to Boog, who in addition to being one of the best play-by-play men in the business is a really nice, smart guy who isn’t afraid to quote on-base percentages and Zone Ratings instead of batting averages and errors.
* Jim Callis of Baseball America has the first-round order for next June’s draft, which will begin with the 103-loss Nationals and end with the 103-win Yankees. There will be 32 first-round picks next year because both the Rangers and Rays receive compensatory picks for failing to sign this year’s first rounder.
* MLB.com’s Lyle Spencer notes that Mike Scioscia “is the first manager in history to send teams to postseason play six times in his first 10 years.”
* Unless he goes 0-for-18 in tomorrow’s one-game playoff with the Tigers, Joe Mauer has captured his third batting title in four seasons.
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 2
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 57
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 24
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 54
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 161
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (161)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)