Oct 5, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
There was no small amount of intrigue over the weekend regarding some mysterious bruises and scratches that appeared on Miguel Cabrera’s face when he showed up for Saturday’s game against the White Sox. At the time, Cabrera said his dog did it, and after that he wouldn’t comment. The Detroit News, however, employs reporters:
City police were called to a domestic dispute at the home of Detroit Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera early Saturday morning, records show.
Cabrera showed up at Comerica Park with scratches on his face for Saturday’s key game against the Chicago White Sox. Both he and team officials refused to say what caused the scratches.
A Birmingham Police log shows police were called to Cabrera’s Birmingham home for a “family trouble” call about 6 a.m. Saturday. The complainant was described on the log as “Rosanna Cabrera.” The wife of the Tigers star is named Rosangel Cabrera.
A neighbor reported she saw about three police cruisers in front of the Cabreras’ home early Saturday morning and said officers put a man in the back of one of the cruisers.
It was not clear from the police log whether anyone was charged in the incident.
Cabrera went 0 for 7 between Saturday and Sunday. If he was the man in the back of the cruiser at 6 A.M., that might help explain why.
Police in suburban Detroit say Miguel Cabrera and his wife got into a fight at their home over the weekend after the Tigers slugger came home drunk around 5 a.m.
Birmingham Police Chief Richard Patterson said Monday that Cabrera’s wife called 911 at 6 a.m. Saturday, requesting police assistance. Miguel Cabrera opened the door for officers.
Patterson says the Cabreras had been fighting and each had marks on their faces as a result.
The chief says Rosangel Cabrera asked that her husband leave the house, so officers took him to the police station, where he was picked up by Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski around 7:30 a.m.
Obviously there are weightier moral and legal issues to all of this, but the baseball observer in me would like to know what in the hell Cabrera is doing out drinking until 5AM in the middle of the most important series of the season. I’m guessing a lot of Tiger fans, not to mention Tiger teammates, would like to know that too.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 14
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 18
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)