Oct 5, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
There was no small amount of intrigue over the weekend regarding some mysterious bruises and scratches that appeared on Miguel Cabrera’s face when he showed up for Saturday’s game against the White Sox. At the time, Cabrera said his dog did it, and after that he wouldn’t comment. The Detroit News, however, employs reporters:
City police were called to a domestic dispute at the home of Detroit Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera early Saturday morning, records show.
Cabrera showed up at Comerica Park with scratches on his face for Saturday’s key game against the Chicago White Sox. Both he and team officials refused to say what caused the scratches.
A Birmingham Police log shows police were called to Cabrera’s Birmingham home for a “family trouble” call about 6 a.m. Saturday. The complainant was described on the log as “Rosanna Cabrera.” The wife of the Tigers star is named Rosangel Cabrera.
A neighbor reported she saw about three police cruisers in front of the Cabreras’ home early Saturday morning and said officers put a man in the back of one of the cruisers.
It was not clear from the police log whether anyone was charged in the incident.
Cabrera went 0 for 7 between Saturday and Sunday. If he was the man in the back of the cruiser at 6 A.M., that might help explain why.
Police in suburban Detroit say Miguel Cabrera and his wife got into a fight at their home over the weekend after the Tigers slugger came home drunk around 5 a.m.
Birmingham Police Chief Richard Patterson said Monday that Cabrera’s wife called 911 at 6 a.m. Saturday, requesting police assistance. Miguel Cabrera opened the door for officers.
Patterson says the Cabreras had been fighting and each had marks on their faces as a result.
The chief says Rosangel Cabrera asked that her husband leave the house, so officers took him to the police station, where he was picked up by Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski around 7:30 a.m.
Obviously there are weightier moral and legal issues to all of this, but the baseball observer in me would like to know what in the hell Cabrera is doing out drinking until 5AM in the middle of the most important series of the season. I’m guessing a lot of Tiger fans, not to mention Tiger teammates, would like to know that too.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)