Oct 5, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
There was no small amount of intrigue over the weekend regarding some mysterious bruises and scratches that appeared on Miguel Cabrera’s face when he showed up for Saturday’s game against the White Sox. At the time, Cabrera said his dog did it, and after that he wouldn’t comment. The Detroit News, however, employs reporters:
City police were called to a domestic dispute at the home of Detroit Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera early Saturday morning, records show.
Cabrera showed up at Comerica Park with scratches on his face for Saturday’s key game against the Chicago White Sox. Both he and team officials refused to say what caused the scratches.
A Birmingham Police log shows police were called to Cabrera’s Birmingham home for a “family trouble” call about 6 a.m. Saturday. The complainant was described on the log as “Rosanna Cabrera.” The wife of the Tigers star is named Rosangel Cabrera.
A neighbor reported she saw about three police cruisers in front of the Cabreras’ home early Saturday morning and said officers put a man in the back of one of the cruisers.
It was not clear from the police log whether anyone was charged in the incident.
Cabrera went 0 for 7 between Saturday and Sunday. If he was the man in the back of the cruiser at 6 A.M., that might help explain why.
Police in suburban Detroit say Miguel Cabrera and his wife got into a fight at their home over the weekend after the Tigers slugger came home drunk around 5 a.m.
Birmingham Police Chief Richard Patterson said Monday that Cabrera’s wife called 911 at 6 a.m. Saturday, requesting police assistance. Miguel Cabrera opened the door for officers.
Patterson says the Cabreras had been fighting and each had marks on their faces as a result.
The chief says Rosangel Cabrera asked that her husband leave the house, so officers took him to the police station, where he was picked up by Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski around 7:30 a.m.
Obviously there are weightier moral and legal issues to all of this, but the baseball observer in me would like to know what in the hell Cabrera is doing out drinking until 5AM in the middle of the most important series of the season. I’m guessing a lot of Tiger fans, not to mention Tiger teammates, would like to know that too.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 32
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 46
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)