Oct 5, 2009, 2:35 PM EST
Miguel Cabrera’s wife called 911 when he returned home from a night of heavy drinking Friday and the Detroit News has the very disturbing audio.
Some of it is hard to decipher because Roseangel Cabrera is distraught and sobbing for much of the call, which was made at around six o’clock in the morning.
However, she begins by saying “I need help please” and the following exchange is easy to understand:
911 Operator: Has he hit you?
Roseangel Cabrera: Yes.
Once police arrive you can hear Cabrera yelling downstairs while his wife remains on the phone with the 911 operator upstairs and police reports indicate that Cabrera and his wife each had marks on their face. He was removed from the home and taken to the police station, where Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski picked him up about 90 minutes later.
Obviously the fact that Cabrera was out getting drunk to the point that his blood-alcohol level was three times the legal limit the night before a crucial game is newsworthy, especially given that he went 0-for-7 over the weekend while the Tigers coughed up their lead in the AL Central. However, the situation extends well beyond baseball at this point and the audio of the 911 call is extremely troubling.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)