Oct 5, 2009, 2:35 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera’s wife called 911 when he returned home from a night of heavy drinking Friday and the Detroit News has the very disturbing audio.
Some of it is hard to decipher because Roseangel Cabrera is distraught and sobbing for much of the call, which was made at around six o’clock in the morning.
However, she begins by saying “I need help please” and the following exchange is easy to understand:
911 Operator: Has he hit you?
Roseangel Cabrera: Yes.
Once police arrive you can hear Cabrera yelling downstairs while his wife remains on the phone with the 911 operator upstairs and police reports indicate that Cabrera and his wife each had marks on their face. He was removed from the home and taken to the police station, where Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski picked him up about 90 minutes later.
Obviously the fact that Cabrera was out getting drunk to the point that his blood-alcohol level was three times the legal limit the night before a crucial game is newsworthy, especially given that he went 0-for-7 over the weekend while the Tigers coughed up their lead in the AL Central. However, the situation extends well beyond baseball at this point and the audio of the 911 call is extremely troubling.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)