Oct 5, 2009, 2:35 PM EST
Miguel Cabrera’s wife called 911 when he returned home from a night of heavy drinking Friday and the Detroit News has the very disturbing audio.
Some of it is hard to decipher because Roseangel Cabrera is distraught and sobbing for much of the call, which was made at around six o’clock in the morning.
However, she begins by saying “I need help please” and the following exchange is easy to understand:
911 Operator: Has he hit you?
Roseangel Cabrera: Yes.
Once police arrive you can hear Cabrera yelling downstairs while his wife remains on the phone with the 911 operator upstairs and police reports indicate that Cabrera and his wife each had marks on their face. He was removed from the home and taken to the police station, where Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski picked him up about 90 minutes later.
Obviously the fact that Cabrera was out getting drunk to the point that his blood-alcohol level was three times the legal limit the night before a crucial game is newsworthy, especially given that he went 0-for-7 over the weekend while the Tigers coughed up their lead in the AL Central. However, the situation extends well beyond baseball at this point and the audio of the 911 call is extremely troubling.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 155
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)