Oct 5, 2009, 2:35 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera’s wife called 911 when he returned home from a night of heavy drinking Friday and the Detroit News has the very disturbing audio.
Some of it is hard to decipher because Roseangel Cabrera is distraught and sobbing for much of the call, which was made at around six o’clock in the morning.
However, she begins by saying “I need help please” and the following exchange is easy to understand:
911 Operator: Has he hit you?
Roseangel Cabrera: Yes.
Once police arrive you can hear Cabrera yelling downstairs while his wife remains on the phone with the 911 operator upstairs and police reports indicate that Cabrera and his wife each had marks on their face. He was removed from the home and taken to the police station, where Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski picked him up about 90 minutes later.
Obviously the fact that Cabrera was out getting drunk to the point that his blood-alcohol level was three times the legal limit the night before a crucial game is newsworthy, especially given that he went 0-for-7 over the weekend while the Tigers coughed up their lead in the AL Central. However, the situation extends well beyond baseball at this point and the audio of the 911 call is extremely troubling.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (117)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?