Oct 5, 2009, 2:02 PM EST
Terry Francona announced yesterday that Tim Wakefield will not be on the Red Sox’s roster for the ALDS, but added that the team may decide to use him in the ALCS or World Series if they get past the Angels:
And he’s on board with that, which we appreciate a lot. He’s not going to be in the first round, but that doesn’t mean that something couldn’t happen. We all understand where he’s at. It’s been very difficult for him physically. But we didn’t want to just shut him down either, because he could still play a role. As crazy as this game is, we just want to keep our options open.
Wakefield has been left off the roster for playoff series before, but pitched in each of the Red Sox’s last eight trips to the postseason dating all the way back to 1995. He was also an All-Star this season after going 11-3 with a 4.31 ERA in the first half. However, the 43-year-old knuckleballer spent much of the second half on the disabled list with nerve problems in his back and went just 1-3 with a 6.00 ERA down the stretch after rejoining the rotation.
Incidentally, while Wakefield has been a playoff fixture for the Red Sox over the past 15 years he hasn’t actually performed very well in the postseason. He’s just 3-7 with an 8.00 ERA in 54 playoff innings spread over nine starts and seven relief appearances for Boston.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 16
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 73
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 47
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (145)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)