Oct 5, 2009, 2:02 PM EDT
Terry Francona announced yesterday that Tim Wakefield will not be on the Red Sox’s roster for the ALDS, but added that the team may decide to use him in the ALCS or World Series if they get past the Angels:
And he’s on board with that, which we appreciate a lot. He’s not going to be in the first round, but that doesn’t mean that something couldn’t happen. We all understand where he’s at. It’s been very difficult for him physically. But we didn’t want to just shut him down either, because he could still play a role. As crazy as this game is, we just want to keep our options open.
Wakefield has been left off the roster for playoff series before, but pitched in each of the Red Sox’s last eight trips to the postseason dating all the way back to 1995. He was also an All-Star this season after going 11-3 with a 4.31 ERA in the first half. However, the 43-year-old knuckleballer spent much of the second half on the disabled list with nerve problems in his back and went just 1-3 with a 6.00 ERA down the stretch after rejoining the rotation.
Incidentally, while Wakefield has been a playoff fixture for the Red Sox over the past 15 years he hasn’t actually performed very well in the postseason. He’s just 3-7 with an 8.00 ERA in 54 playoff innings spread over nine starts and seven relief appearances for Boston.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (122)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy