Tigers should do the right thing and bench Cabrera

Oct 5, 2009, 5:43 PM EDT

Let’s just forget for a minute the domestic assault, though I still have a frightened woman’s voice running through my head.
Miguel Cabrera betrayed his team on Friday night. It’s one thing to blow off some steam after a tough loss. It’s entirely another for a 250-pound man to blow a 0.26 on a breath test likely at least an hour or so after he stopped drinking.
That’s enough steam to power a locomotive from Detroit to Minneapolis.
And this was the Tigers’ biggest weekend of the year. Cabrera’s wife called 911 at 6 a.m. Saturday morning. This wasn’t a player going out for a couple of hours and then coming home. He was out nearly until dawn, and now the guess is that he was at a hotel partying with one or more members of the White Sox.
Sure, the Tigers could have been all forgive and forget had he shaken off his hangover and launched a homer or two in the series against the White Sox. But he went 0-for-11 with a walk, including 0-for-7 in the two games after the incident. In the bottom of the eighth inning of Saturday’s loss, he grounded into a double play to kill a potential rally with one run already in.
Obviously, the MVP candidate was nowhere near 100 percent that night. Cabrera let his employers down. You know, the ones who signed him to a $152.3 million contract a year and a half ago. He let his teammates down. He let his fans down. And he clearly let his family down.
If he were Adam Everett or Marcus Thames, the Tigers would take a stand and bench him on Tuesday. He’s Miguel Cabrera, though, so it’s not going to happen.
Dating back to his days with the Marlins, there have been concerns about how Cabrera takes care of himself. He’d never been in trouble with the law before — that we know of — but he wasn’t as into conditioning as anyone would have liked. That’s a big reason why he’s now a full-time first baseman; he began his pro career as a shortstop and showed some early promise at third base.
Hopefully, he’ll be scared straight by the incident. All signs point to him avoiding criminal charges for the scuffle with his wife that left both with minor injuries. If he were a lesser player, the complete lack of regard for his team would probably make him a trade candidate this winter. The Tigers, though, will stand by him, and perhaps he’ll reward them in the end.

1. Alamar Garcia - Oct 6, 2009 at 9:09 AM

I think that the Tiger organization should fire him and fine him big time for staying out til the wee hours of the morning drinking, knowing he had a big game on Saturday-
    Maybe his friends he was drinking with did it on purpose knowing he would be hang over on Saturday and not able to focus on his game.
    He is a disgrace to the kids who look up to him as thier idol. I say the Tigers should put him on probation and the next time it happens again fire him. We do not need players like him on the Tiger Team.

2. Alamar Garcia - Oct 6, 2009 at 9:09 AM

3. Joey B - Oct 6, 2009 at 9:26 AM

“He did not show up drunk for the game, he blew the .26 @ 6 in the morning.”
    .26 for a guy his size is a really hefty amount of drinking. I like my beer as much as anyone else, but you have to have some limits. To come home bombed the night before one of the biggest games of your life is unacceptable.
    Like I said, if you’re a Tigers’ fan, and having players show up for the big games in bad shape is okay, then maybe the other team deserves it more than you do.

4. Larry - Oct 6, 2009 at 9:34 AM

You sound like a big dumb ass. Just what the world needs loser like you.

5. martha - Oct 6, 2009 at 9:46 AM

As a proud venezuelan and a true baseball fan I find the attitued displayed by Miguel Cabrera was shamefull and destructive, and in need of control and punishment. We are bringing up children towards sports focusing on these people to put an example. I beleive, sadden by his behaviour, that he should be not only benched but suspended as they do to the players in the NFL, who as soon as the teams have the facts of the infoumus act, suspend inmediatly the player.
    Sad, sad news…hope you get straight Miguel, not only for your fans and family…but for your own sake!

6. Me - Oct 6, 2009 at 9:49 AM

I’ve been at the receiving end of the fist. Did my bruises show up right away? No, they took a day to appear. My husband didn’t break my nose or knock out any teeth so when the cops showed up, I physically didn’t have any proof he’d hit me. What did show were the fresh scratches my husband had on his back (he was shirtless) where I tried to get purchase as he picked me up when he threw me down the stairs. I was grabbing on to him in desparation when I realized what he was going to do. Is this how he ended up with his own wounds; were they defensive scratches from his wife? When domestic violence happens in the home, it’s the offender, male or female, terrorizing the other party. And when the aggressor is a man, it’s beyond being outsized. My “crime” was not getting his coffee just right. Is Mrs. Cabrera not supposed to be mad that he was out all night? Why does he get to show anger that is not only misplaced but way out of control? And if you’re blowing a .26 at 6am then you will still be drunk at 1pm that same day, game time. Now, as a Twins fan, I hope we win but as a victim of domestic violence, I worry that he would take out his frustrations on his wife. No one, women, man or child, should live in fear in their own home. Especially from someone that is supposed to love them and take care of them.

7. Me - Oct 6, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Really, what are hispanic women like? I’m not one but my daughters are. Do I have to worry that if they get hit, they deserved it? Your stated logic leads me to believe that you would always find some reason that it was the woman’s fault anyway, that she deserved it somehow. “She was yelling. She wanted to know where I’d been. She didn’t have breakfast ready when I got home at an unGodly hour.” No person should ever hit another person in anger.

8. martha - Oct 6, 2009 at 10:01 AM

9. martha - Oct 6, 2009 at 10:18 AM

I agree with you 100%…no one should be mistreated for whatever reason…specially not physically…did Rihana deserve the beating by Chris Brown? NO! and if all of the people condemed that act…how can they approve this one? IT’S ABUSE, period! You can drink or party if that’s ypur choice, but does the abusee have a choice?…Totally against any type of abuse…AND I’M SPANISH…never seen that in my home growing up…never seen it in my home now and clearly educate both my children (boy and girl) to never-ever have that conduct or let anyone have it uppon you…and pray for the best!
    ME…hope your life is better now…have faith always!

10. Nissan - Oct 6, 2009 at 10:34 AM

LOL! Yet ANOTHER “I pissed-off because this guy is making more money than me” story!!! It never ends! Whether it is corporate executives, entertainers, or athletes, people despise the “rich”. Funny, the same people who dispise the rich are the same people buying lottery tickets and driving 10 miles out of their way to save $0.01/gallon on gas!

11. Ronfrom birmingham - Oct 6, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Listen,I was at the Townsend hotel bar that night.I saw him drinking and having a good time with some of the Sox players.At one point he looked at his cell phone and said that his wife had called several times. At closing time he could barely form words and joined some of the players for “another drink in the room”. I also can tell you that he stumbled out to his SUV and drove home wasted.

12. ActualFanOfBaseball - Oct 6, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Consider the source of the story; Matthew Pouliot of Fox sports. This guy couldn’t get a job at a junior high paper. 90% of the comments are purely ignorant and show why the “reporter” and most of the posters are not MLB managers and should just shut the #%*# up. There is no manager in the league who would not have Cabrera in the line-up for the playoffs.

13. John - Oct 6, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Who cares? It’s baseball. What’s one more thing to ignore? Maybe if we had a commissioner who was actually alive, something would be done. Last I checked, Bud Selig was still dead.

14. Paul Sousa - Oct 6, 2009 at 11:47 AM

They should bench him to teach him a lesson. Then they should call in his parents for a parent – teacher conference.
    He should have to wash Jim Leyland’s desk and he should have a week of detention to boot.
    You won’t see him getting benched until Selig takes a Roger Goodell type of discipline to the Brett Myers and Cabrera’s of the world

15. Fredley - Oct 6, 2009 at 12:02 PM

What does it matter – one more game and the season is done anyway. The Tigers are about to miss the playoffs that they should have had locked up weeks ago – this is a non-story at this point

16. Norm Cash - Oct 6, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Let’s see … you don’t bench A-Rod or a number of other players for what they did. Mantle, Maris, Billy Martin, and others were frequently in worse shape. And saying that Cabrera would have gotten more hits if he hadn’t been drinking is pure speculation.
    Yes, Cabrera did make a mistake, like we all do sometimes. But the disparity in what’s being recommended for him relative to other players makes me wonder if there are a number of Yankees (or Twinkies) fans on this site posting today.

17. rp - Oct 6, 2009 at 12:15 PM

The only reason you wrote this is because you don’t like the Tigers and you do like the Twins. Why don’t you worthless pieces of garbage writers get a life and go out and find some real “SPORTS” news worth reporting. You are nothing but garbage youreself. Get a life and get a real job.

18. Debi - Oct 6, 2009 at 12:24 PM

It’s baseball for sure, but that doesn’t make it our problem. As a professional player he is employed by the Tigers orginization. They are the ones that should be mad at him not us. We are disappointed in his behavior, but really is it any of our business? I know that woman can be mean and physical and start alot of shit with someone when they are mad. Should he of been home on the eve of a very important game, yes. Should he of controled his temper, we don’t know what happened, do we? Maybe he is totally innocent in this whole thing and Ms Miguel was mad so she started the crap. It might not have been an issue but she made it one. Maybe he didn’t give her enough money to go the the Nordstroms. Maybe she is a bitch and he doesn’t like her very much and he was attacked. Maybe he was with a bunch of guys that he really enjoyed and he lost track of time and amount? Who are we to pass judgement?

19. Alan - Oct 6, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Matthew….if this was just a regular season game I would agree, but…you said it yourself:
    “In the Tigers’ defense, that’d just be letting his teammates and the team’s fans down again. The Tigers have worked too hard for seven months to see it all vanish because the team took a stand against its cleanup hitter. Cabrera, though, deserves the fate, and he’ll certainly have some explaining to do this winter.”
    So..if you wrote this…then what is this article about?

20. R. scalzo - Oct 6, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Tony, you better get your facts straight. A BAC of .26 takes approximately 17 hours to be removed from your system. After that, you still feel the effects. At .30 BAC, hospitalization is usually required. He was probably at or above that point at one time or another.
    You also seem to know little about the DV laws. One does not make an arrest because you “don’t know who the aggressor is”. That was screwed up and will probably result in a departmental investigation.
    The guys a punk. It isn’t his first, nor his last.

21. js - Oct 6, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Just to clear up facts-he was not arrested that night. I am not defending his actions, but both he and his wife had injuries, the police stated that they had no idea who was the aggessor ( the cell phone he was using was smashed ) and neither party pressed charges. He was taken to the police station to wait to be picked up so he would not be driving, and so that the two could be separated.

22. Nerd - Oct 6, 2009 at 3:50 PM

If u guys have problems with athletes “j” – “what is the motivation of some barely educated kid, with some talent, who gets lucky and signs a mega-contract? why should he bother making the effort? he is already guaranteed of enough money for the rest of his life.” –
    Ok … he doesnt have some talent … he has amazing talent … and im pretty sure he didnt get lucky … these players bust their asses their whole childhood to get this good .. you people sound soo stupid … hes human .. how many times do u hear stories like this .. all the time .. cuz hes a baseball player he should be benched .. wat if ur school teacher and u have problems at home .. should u be suspended at work? … No .. STUPID PEOPLE LEAVING STUPID COMMENTS

23. Arnold J - Oct 6, 2009 at 3:57 PM

I’m amazed this story has taken over sports websites … a baseball player drinking heavily is not news. People seemed to be taken aback that he might still play and think he’s horribly disappointed the fans. One, no one knows all the facts yet, as many have so eloquently pointed out. Two, the fans don’t care–seems like the only ones who do are 1) reporters, and 2) non-Tiger’s fans. As a Tiger’s fan, I have not had one conversation with other Tiger’s fans where this has come up. The huge collapse at the end, sure. Nervous about starting a rookie? Yep. This seems to be much ado about something we don’t know enough about yet. Chill. Focus on the game.

24. NO PimP JuicE 4 U - Oct 6, 2009 at 4:06 PM

WELL U DIDN’T HEAR IT FROM ME AND WHAT I SAY COUNTS.
    THEY WILL GET SPANKED, TIL THEIR BUTT IS RED.

25. NO PimP JuicE 4 U - Oct 6, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Well, if you guy’s are AFRAID TO SPANK your wife/ girlfriend
    I will do it for you, she may want a real man to do it 4 her.
    buh bye

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline