Oct 6, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT
Never mind that he’d probably be violating 16 different restraining orders simply by showing up in Ohio again:
So what else could be missing from this fine Indians season that ends today? What about a phone call from former Tribe slugger Albert Belle to tie all the loose ends together?
For the third time in the past two years, Belle punched my cellphone
number from his home in Scottsdale, Ariz. As I walked down the dank
visitor’s tunnel at Fenway Park in Boston on Friday, I answered his
call. There was no mistaking the voice on the other end of the line.
“Tell Larry Dolan I won’t be interviewing for the
manager’s job,” said one of the most feared and ill-tempered hitters in
Indians history. “How can you manage when you’ve got no players? This season isn’t the manager’s fault. They traded
away all his players. You can’t win when you trade two Cy Young winners
in CC Sabathia and Cliff Lee. Dolan is getting what he paid for.
Albert Belle may be a violent sociopath, and if he had my cellphone number I’d probably call the FBI or something, but he’s got a decent point about the Tribe.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 49
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)