Oct 6, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT
Never mind that he’d probably be violating 16 different restraining orders simply by showing up in Ohio again:
So what else could be missing from this fine Indians season that ends today? What about a phone call from former Tribe slugger Albert Belle to tie all the loose ends together?
For the third time in the past two years, Belle punched my cellphone
number from his home in Scottsdale, Ariz. As I walked down the dank
visitor’s tunnel at Fenway Park in Boston on Friday, I answered his
call. There was no mistaking the voice on the other end of the line.
“Tell Larry Dolan I won’t be interviewing for the
manager’s job,” said one of the most feared and ill-tempered hitters in
Indians history. “How can you manage when you’ve got no players? This season isn’t the manager’s fault. They traded
away all his players. You can’t win when you trade two Cy Young winners
in CC Sabathia and Cliff Lee. Dolan is getting what he paid for.
Albert Belle may be a violent sociopath, and if he had my cellphone number I’d probably call the FBI or something, but he’s got a decent point about the Tribe.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 23
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 183
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)