Oct 6, 2009, 2:38 PM EST
* Sadly, Adam Dunn’s odd/impressive streak of hitting exactly 40 homers has come to an end after four straight seasons. He went deep “only” 38 times this year, going homerless in his final 10 games. Dunn’s homers by year: 19, 26, 27, 46, 40, 40, 40, 40, 38. His 316 long balls through the age of 29 ranks 12th all time between Frank Robinson and Harmon Killebrew.
* Speaking of homerless stretches to finish the season, Albert Pujols hasn’t gone deep since September 9. At that point he had 47 homers in 139 games and looked poised for his first 50-homer campaign, but instead he’ll have to settle for merely leading baseball with 47. Zero homers over a 21-game stretch is the longest drought of Pujols’ career, but he still managed to hit .308 with eight doubles.
* Miguel Cabrera wasn’t the only big leaguer to get into alcohol-related trouble over the weekend. A’s rookie Clayton Mortensen was arrested Saturday night for suspected drunk driving.
* Jorge Posada revealed this afternoon that Jose Molina will catch A.J. Burnett in the ALDS. “I just hope we win that game,” Posada said. “That’s all I’ve got to say. It’s not like I didn’t see it coming.” Burnett started 32 times this season and Posada was behind the plate for 16 of them, but the right-hander had more success in 11 games working with Molina.
* Troy Glaus batted just .172 and got only 32 plate appearances for the Cardinals in an injury wrecked season, but he’s been added to the playoff roster as a bench bat over Khalil Greene.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 3
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 8
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 17
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 31
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)