Oct 6, 2009, 2:38 PM EDT
* Sadly, Adam Dunn’s odd/impressive streak of hitting exactly 40 homers has come to an end after four straight seasons. He went deep “only” 38 times this year, going homerless in his final 10 games. Dunn’s homers by year: 19, 26, 27, 46, 40, 40, 40, 40, 38. His 316 long balls through the age of 29 ranks 12th all time between Frank Robinson and Harmon Killebrew.
* Speaking of homerless stretches to finish the season, Albert Pujols hasn’t gone deep since September 9. At that point he had 47 homers in 139 games and looked poised for his first 50-homer campaign, but instead he’ll have to settle for merely leading baseball with 47. Zero homers over a 21-game stretch is the longest drought of Pujols’ career, but he still managed to hit .308 with eight doubles.
* Miguel Cabrera wasn’t the only big leaguer to get into alcohol-related trouble over the weekend. A’s rookie Clayton Mortensen was arrested Saturday night for suspected drunk driving.
* Jorge Posada revealed this afternoon that Jose Molina will catch A.J. Burnett in the ALDS. “I just hope we win that game,” Posada said. “That’s all I’ve got to say. It’s not like I didn’t see it coming.” Burnett started 32 times this season and Posada was behind the plate for 16 of them, but the right-hander had more success in 11 games working with Molina.
* Troy Glaus batted just .172 and got only 32 plate appearances for the Cardinals in an injury wrecked season, but he’s been added to the playoff roster as a bench bat over Khalil Greene.
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 0
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 17
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 20
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 43
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)