Oct 6, 2009, 2:38 PM EDT
* Sadly, Adam Dunn’s odd/impressive streak of hitting exactly 40 homers has come to an end after four straight seasons. He went deep “only” 38 times this year, going homerless in his final 10 games. Dunn’s homers by year: 19, 26, 27, 46, 40, 40, 40, 40, 38. His 316 long balls through the age of 29 ranks 12th all time between Frank Robinson and Harmon Killebrew.
* Speaking of homerless stretches to finish the season, Albert Pujols hasn’t gone deep since September 9. At that point he had 47 homers in 139 games and looked poised for his first 50-homer campaign, but instead he’ll have to settle for merely leading baseball with 47. Zero homers over a 21-game stretch is the longest drought of Pujols’ career, but he still managed to hit .308 with eight doubles.
* Miguel Cabrera wasn’t the only big leaguer to get into alcohol-related trouble over the weekend. A’s rookie Clayton Mortensen was arrested Saturday night for suspected drunk driving.
* Jorge Posada revealed this afternoon that Jose Molina will catch A.J. Burnett in the ALDS. “I just hope we win that game,” Posada said. “That’s all I’ve got to say. It’s not like I didn’t see it coming.” Burnett started 32 times this season and Posada was behind the plate for 16 of them, but the right-hander had more success in 11 games working with Molina.
* Troy Glaus batted just .172 and got only 32 plate appearances for the Cardinals in an injury wrecked season, but he’s been added to the playoff roster as a bench bat over Khalil Greene.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 1
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 4
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 52
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 30
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (265)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)