Oct 6, 2009, 2:38 PM EST
* Sadly, Adam Dunn’s odd/impressive streak of hitting exactly 40 homers has come to an end after four straight seasons. He went deep “only” 38 times this year, going homerless in his final 10 games. Dunn’s homers by year: 19, 26, 27, 46, 40, 40, 40, 40, 38. His 316 long balls through the age of 29 ranks 12th all time between Frank Robinson and Harmon Killebrew.
* Speaking of homerless stretches to finish the season, Albert Pujols hasn’t gone deep since September 9. At that point he had 47 homers in 139 games and looked poised for his first 50-homer campaign, but instead he’ll have to settle for merely leading baseball with 47. Zero homers over a 21-game stretch is the longest drought of Pujols’ career, but he still managed to hit .308 with eight doubles.
* Miguel Cabrera wasn’t the only big leaguer to get into alcohol-related trouble over the weekend. A’s rookie Clayton Mortensen was arrested Saturday night for suspected drunk driving.
* Jorge Posada revealed this afternoon that Jose Molina will catch A.J. Burnett in the ALDS. “I just hope we win that game,” Posada said. “That’s all I’ve got to say. It’s not like I didn’t see it coming.” Burnett started 32 times this season and Posada was behind the plate for 16 of them, but the right-hander had more success in 11 games working with Molina.
* Troy Glaus batted just .172 and got only 32 plate appearances for the Cardinals in an injury wrecked season, but he’s been added to the playoff roster as a bench bat over Khalil Greene.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 72
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (152)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)