Oct 6, 2009, 12:07 PM EST
* All the hub-bub was apparently for nothing, because FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports that the Marlins will stick with Fredi Gonzalez as their manager in 2010. Gonzalez won 87 games this season and 84 games last season with an extremely limited payroll and relatively modest talent, so it’s tough to see an on-field reason for why the Marlins were even thinking about canning him.
* This season the Rays set franchise records for runs scored, homers, on-base percentage, and walks, yet they fired hitting coach Steve Henderson. According to team president Andrew Friedman “there were some inadequacies offensively this year,” which is a tough sell given that Tampa Bay ranked fifth among AL teams in offense after ranking ninth in scoring during their World Series run last season.
* Jose de Jesus Ortiz of the Houston Chronicle reports that former Indians, Mariners, and Orioles skipper Mike Hargrove “has reached out to the Astros” about their managerial opening. Hargrove had a ton of success in Cleveland throughout the 1990s, but had losing records in Seattle and Baltimore, hasn’t managed since 2007, and turns 60 years old later this month.
* Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that Omar Minaya reached out to recently fired general managers Kevin Towers and J.P. Ricciardi about possibly joining the Mets. Given his shaky job security following the Mets’ disastrous season, bringing in either former GM and putting an obvious successor in place would be an awfully risky move for Minaya.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)