Oct 6, 2009, 12:07 PM EST
* All the hub-bub was apparently for nothing, because FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports that the Marlins will stick with Fredi Gonzalez as their manager in 2010. Gonzalez won 87 games this season and 84 games last season with an extremely limited payroll and relatively modest talent, so it’s tough to see an on-field reason for why the Marlins were even thinking about canning him.
* This season the Rays set franchise records for runs scored, homers, on-base percentage, and walks, yet they fired hitting coach Steve Henderson. According to team president Andrew Friedman “there were some inadequacies offensively this year,” which is a tough sell given that Tampa Bay ranked fifth among AL teams in offense after ranking ninth in scoring during their World Series run last season.
* Jose de Jesus Ortiz of the Houston Chronicle reports that former Indians, Mariners, and Orioles skipper Mike Hargrove “has reached out to the Astros” about their managerial opening. Hargrove had a ton of success in Cleveland throughout the 1990s, but had losing records in Seattle and Baltimore, hasn’t managed since 2007, and turns 60 years old later this month.
* Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that Omar Minaya reached out to recently fired general managers Kevin Towers and J.P. Ricciardi about possibly joining the Mets. Given his shaky job security following the Mets’ disastrous season, bringing in either former GM and putting an obvious successor in place would be an awfully risky move for Minaya.
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 20
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 17
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 82
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)