Oct 6, 2009, 1:03 PM EDT
Charlie Manuel announced this afternoon that Cliff Lee will start Game 1 of the NLDS against Colorado, with Cole Hamels going in Game 2.
You can’t really go wrong either way, but Hamels has been the Phillies’ ace for years now and was named MVP of both the NLCS and World Series last October. On the other hand, a Game 1 assignment would have meant pitching on somewhat short rest for Hamels, who threw three innings Saturday in his final regular-season outing, and Lee has simply out-pitched him this season.
Obviously having a pair of No. 1 starters in the rotation is far more important than which order they’re in, and the fact that both Lee and Hamels are left-handed is especially advantageous against the Rockies. Colorado had the best OPS in the league against right-handed pitching this season, but ranked fourth against lefties.
Colorado will go with Ubaldo Jimenez against Lee in Game 1, with Aaron Cook facing Hamels in Game 2. Two excellent pitching matchups, featuring four of the best 20 starters in the league. Circling the Bases will have a full preview of the Phillies-Rockies series later today, following our Twins-Tigers tiebreaker game live blog.
As for who will get the ball in the ninth inning if the Phillies have a lead … well, Manuel wasn’t so sure about that, saying: “Hard to tell. Whoever you see walk out there.”
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)