Oct 7, 2009, 12:17 PM EDT
* Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has the details on Trevor Hoffman’s new contract with the Brewers. He’ll earn $7.5 million in 2010 and the team holds a $7.5 million option or $500,000 buyout for 2011. Based on games finished in 2010 his 2011 salary can increase to $8.5 million and the buyout can rise to $1 million.
In other words, at least Hoffman will make $8 million for one season and at most he’ll make $16 million for two seasons. Hoffman converted 37-of-41 saves with a 1.83 ERA and 48/14 K/BB ratio over 54 innings in his first season in Milwaukee, showing no signs of slowing down at the age of 41.
* Fredi Gonzalez will return as Marlins manager next season, but pitching coach Mark Wiley and first-base coach Andy Fox won’t be on his 2010 staff.
* LaVelle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune has had a hell of a time trying to get to New York, but he notes that the Twins arrived there at 3:05 a.m. and “most of them will be tired, buzzed from beer and champagne.” Just part of the reason why Minnesota is the biggest underdog of the postseason.
* Terry Francona announced this morning that Jed Lowrie will be on the Red Sox’s playoff roster despite getting a total of just 76 plate appearances in an injury-wrecked season.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 53
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)