Oct 7, 2009, 12:17 PM EDT
* Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has the details on Trevor Hoffman’s new contract with the Brewers. He’ll earn $7.5 million in 2010 and the team holds a $7.5 million option or $500,000 buyout for 2011. Based on games finished in 2010 his 2011 salary can increase to $8.5 million and the buyout can rise to $1 million.
In other words, at least Hoffman will make $8 million for one season and at most he’ll make $16 million for two seasons. Hoffman converted 37-of-41 saves with a 1.83 ERA and 48/14 K/BB ratio over 54 innings in his first season in Milwaukee, showing no signs of slowing down at the age of 41.
* Fredi Gonzalez will return as Marlins manager next season, but pitching coach Mark Wiley and first-base coach Andy Fox won’t be on his 2010 staff.
* LaVelle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune has had a hell of a time trying to get to New York, but he notes that the Twins arrived there at 3:05 a.m. and “most of them will be tired, buzzed from beer and champagne.” Just part of the reason why Minnesota is the biggest underdog of the postseason.
* Terry Francona announced this morning that Jed Lowrie will be on the Red Sox’s playoff roster despite getting a total of just 76 plate appearances in an injury-wrecked season.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)