Aces Carpenter, Wolf show nerves in Game 1

Oct 8, 2009, 1:28 AM EDT

Chris Carpenter hadn’t issued four walks in a game since an NLCS start in 2006. Randy Wolf hadn’t walked five batters since a loss June 27, 2008 against the Mariners. In Wednesday’s Game 1, both fell victim to wildness in combining to pitch just 8 2/3 innings in the Dodgers’ 5-3 win.
Fortunately for Los Angeles, Wolf was able to pitch out of his jams until the fourth, when Jeff Weaver rescued him with the bases loaded and two out. He was charged with just two runs despite allowing six hits, walking five and hitting a batter in 3 2/3 innings. Two of his free passes were intentional, with both going to Albert Pujols. He was never in control of the game, though.
Carpenter’s command problems didn’t result in walks early on. Leaving too many pitches in the middle of the strike zone, he gave up a single, a two-run homer and then two more singles before escaping the first. In the third, he hit Andre Ethier and walked Manny Ramirez to start a rally, but he minimized the damage by allowing only a single in the frame. The run he allowed in the fifth was also aided by a walk. He was taken out after that inning, having allowing four runs.
Neither the Dodgers nor Cardinals achieved a 1-2-3 inning until Ronald Belisario induced three straight groundouts by the sixth. By the time the seventh inning rolled around, the teams had already set an NLDS record for men left on base. It ended up as a postseason record. Even though the bullpens combined just two walks in 8 1/3 innings, the game finished with the Dodgers having stranded 16 and the Cardinals 14.

1. BIGBRUCE11047 - Oct 8, 2009 at 8:14 AM

The result of Game 1 between the Dodgers and Cardinals really didn’t surprise me. The Cards have their offense rolled up into two, maybe three players while the Dodgers have eight players in their lineup who can beat you on any given day. I was really surprised that Carpenter gave up what he did but again it was the Dodgers offense coming through. If figure the series will go five games with the Dodgers prevailing. Go Dodgers!!

2. Shely - Oct 8, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Hey Redbird fans. What did I say? Carpenter had his fastball working yesterday, but could not locate it well. He looked worn out and muddled through. What about Albert? 0 for 3. And his protector, striking out looking with bags loaded. Walks, hit batters etc.. This is not the same team of July- August. That team folded in med Sept. These guys are just a shell of that team. Tonight, Wainwright will need help in the 6th or 7th and the pen will not hold. Keep your fingers crossed and yes, click your heels three more times. Then pray a lot that somehow, the hard hitting Dodgers will fold too. That is your only chance. I still pick LA in three.
    Sorry,
    Shely

3. StL Skip - Oct 8, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Shely – The Cards will win the rest from here.

4. Astrozac - Oct 8, 2009 at 12:27 PM

I think I have to agree with Shely as a die hard Cards fan. An anemic offense with only DeRosa and Ludwick the only ones producing and we couldn’t win with our “Ace.” And typically Wainwright was lucky to get 2 runs of support this season and he’ll probably try to overpitch, which will screw him up. A stellar rotation and a series against a team they owned in the regular season, this should have been a cakewalk.
    It’ll never happen, but given his funk the past two months, more so the last, maybe a benching of #5 is in order. Maybe that will wake him and rest of the team up. It worked for Scott Rolen three years ago…

5. Shely - Oct 8, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Skip my boy, Hope is OK, but please do not bet on it. Until this Cardinal team can start hitting with men on base and the pitching gets well, there isn’t much hope to count on. It may happen, but the Dodgers are not going to go easily. Remember leaving a lot of men on base did not just happen. These guys have been cursed with this for over a month. Was it 14 or 15 yesterday? And what was that throw to second base (or outfield) that DeRosa made? Is his head on straight or did the Cubs get the birds to sign him up? He had the guy at home dead on, and didn’t even see it. Oh, I hope you are not one of the heel clickers. Use your head and not your heart.
    Shely
    Previous Cardinal fan, now a sorry Reds fan.

6. bb5 - Oct 8, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Hey Shely!…………………I don’t remember La Russa intentionally walking an the same player twice!!!!! Also, Carp pitched through his problems, we didn’t have to pull him in the fourth for relief. What Carp did yesterday showed how great of a pitcher, competitor and athlete that he is against a stacked line-up. Let’s face, he pitched in the NL Central. But I do remember us DOMINATING you this season. Just had to get the first game jitters out!

7. Shely - Oct 8, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Yes bb5, you are right of course. Just don’t forget to click your heels thrice, and maybe make the sign of the cross. You will need it all.
    Shely
    Retired Cards fan

8. bb5 - Oct 8, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Seems like you need a new hobby besides watching “Wizard of oz”!

9. Pimp JuicE - Oct 8, 2009 at 3:29 PM

NERVES ?? MAYBE HE SHOULD PLAY KICK BALL WITH SHELY, I HOPE THEY
    DON’T GET EMOTIONAL AND START CRYING DURING THE GAME, I WILL SEND
    THEM A BOX OF KLEENEX JUST IN CASE.

10. nfast - Oct 8, 2009 at 4:00 PM

BAAAAA…. Go CUBS!

11. bb5 - Oct 8, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Pimp Juice…………Really? Your nick name is “Pimp Juice”.

12. Bo - Oct 8, 2009 at 4:03 PM

First off, I’ve been a Cards fan for many years and it saddens me to watch this continued downward spiral. You can argue stats, post up nice BAs and ERAs, but when a team leaves 15 runners on base in a playoff game, that is a Choke, pure and simple.

13. Shely - Oct 8, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Sorry to say you are right on Bo. Why don’t other card fans see it? Too much hoping for the best with visual proof on the field. they played like true champs for a couple of months, but now just chumps. It is NOT too late to turn this around, but there is no evidence that this will happen in this year. How do you get out of a rut fast? They have to start tonight or else, it will be Dodgers in 3. And that is being kind to the birds.

14. bb5 - Oct 8, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Wow………..What? Are the going to end it in two?………C’mon!….Geez!BHAAAA………

15. b1000 - Oct 8, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Cards fan here, but I don’t care who wins as long as Shely STFU. I occasionally read these articles and when I do, Shely always seems to spout off with more anti-Cardinal garbage. Who’s a “retired” fan? How does a team “wrong” a person outside of not winning enough. Wait, Shely is a Red’s fan? Nevermind… that hypothesis is obviously wrong

16. Bo - Oct 8, 2009 at 5:10 PM

I think I was wrong on the 15 LOB, it was only 14.
    Out of all of our misery, the worst result is that we are no longer intimidating. This means we get no free passes and must actually do things like throw strikes, avoid walking the first guy up, and try real hard not to swing at balls that bounce across the plate–things we learned in Little League. It’s called baseball, and when you do it for a living, you do it well or you get to go home and watch real baseball players on TV.

17. b1000 - Oct 8, 2009 at 11:11 PM

18. Shely - Oct 9, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Hey b boy. whose is wrong now? I did not call it exactly, as I didn’t know Wainwright would last 8. I said maybe 7. However, M H just opened the door to the loss. So and error was made. One man on two outs and a weak hitter up. How can you lose? Franklin! WHY WAS HE IN THE GAME AT ALL? He has been doing this for a month now. No homer Kool Aid drinkers here. I don’t want to talk to any of you any longer. THE CARDINALS IS DEAD! Cards 3 and OUT!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5249)