Oct 8, 2009, 9:28 AM EST
Yesterday Cole Hamels was quoted as saying that it was unfair that the Phillies had the early games in the division series:
“In being the defending world champs, I think it’s kind of a little weird that we kind of get both games at 2 o’clock. I don’t think it’s fair. I definitely don’t think it’s fair for the fans because this is all about home-field advantage or just baseball in general. I understand TV ratings, but I think, at the end of the day, most players would rather play when they’re both comfortable, and that’s kind of what we’re trained at, either 1 o’clock or 7 o’clock . . .”
He’s probably right that the Phillies, as champs, are deserving of better slotting, but is this about fairness, as Hamels said, or is it about the fact that, over the course of his career, Hamels is 10-13 with 4.66 ERA in day games vs. 38-21 with a 3.27 ERA at night?
Either way, given what Cliff Lee did yesterday — and given that the Phillies set a record for attendance (and it was a rowdy crowd to boot) — I’m guessing he’s going to just bite his tongue about this going forward. Beat the Rockies today, Cole, and you’re all but assured of nothin’ but night games.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 26
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 75
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 120
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (103)