Oct 8, 2009, 2:08 PM EDT
Boston has left Rocco Baldelli off the ALDS roster because of his hip injury, so Brian Anderson and Joey Gathright will be the backup outfielders.
Baldelli typically replaces J.D. Drew in right field against left-handed pitchers, so he would’ve been in line to face Scott Kazmir in Game 3 and Joe Saunders in Game 4.
Baldelli has hit .295/.346/.485 versus lefties during his career, including .290/.343/.441 this season, whereas Drew is a lifetime .262/.366/.428 hitter against southpaws and batted .272/.381/.482 off them this season.
In other words, not a ton of difference either way, although certainly losing Baldelli leaves the Red Sox with less flexibility. Anderson is also a right-handed hitter and could sub for Baldelli as Drew’s platoon partner, but he’s hit just .209/.283/.368 lifetime against lefties.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 338
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 78
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 52
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (338)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (143)