Oct 8, 2009, 2:08 PM EDT
Boston has left Rocco Baldelli off the ALDS roster because of his hip injury, so Brian Anderson and Joey Gathright will be the backup outfielders.
Baldelli typically replaces J.D. Drew in right field against left-handed pitchers, so he would’ve been in line to face Scott Kazmir in Game 3 and Joe Saunders in Game 4.
Baldelli has hit .295/.346/.485 versus lefties during his career, including .290/.343/.441 this season, whereas Drew is a lifetime .262/.366/.428 hitter against southpaws and batted .272/.381/.482 off them this season.
In other words, not a ton of difference either way, although certainly losing Baldelli leaves the Red Sox with less flexibility. Anderson is also a right-handed hitter and could sub for Baldelli as Drew’s platoon partner, but he’s hit just .209/.283/.368 lifetime against lefties.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (87)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (82)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (75)