Oct 8, 2009, 2:08 PM EST
Boston has left Rocco Baldelli off the ALDS roster because of his hip injury, so Brian Anderson and Joey Gathright will be the backup outfielders.
Baldelli typically replaces J.D. Drew in right field against left-handed pitchers, so he would’ve been in line to face Scott Kazmir in Game 3 and Joe Saunders in Game 4.
Baldelli has hit .295/.346/.485 versus lefties during his career, including .290/.343/.441 this season, whereas Drew is a lifetime .262/.366/.428 hitter against southpaws and batted .272/.381/.482 off them this season.
In other words, not a ton of difference either way, although certainly losing Baldelli leaves the Red Sox with less flexibility. Anderson is also a right-handed hitter and could sub for Baldelli as Drew’s platoon partner, but he’s hit just .209/.283/.368 lifetime against lefties.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 14
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 41
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15