Oct 8, 2009, 2:08 PM EDT
Boston has left Rocco Baldelli off the ALDS roster because of his hip injury, so Brian Anderson and Joey Gathright will be the backup outfielders.
Baldelli typically replaces J.D. Drew in right field against left-handed pitchers, so he would’ve been in line to face Scott Kazmir in Game 3 and Joe Saunders in Game 4.
Baldelli has hit .295/.346/.485 versus lefties during his career, including .290/.343/.441 this season, whereas Drew is a lifetime .262/.366/.428 hitter against southpaws and batted .272/.381/.482 off them this season.
In other words, not a ton of difference either way, although certainly losing Baldelli leaves the Red Sox with less flexibility. Anderson is also a right-handed hitter and could sub for Baldelli as Drew’s platoon partner, but he’s hit just .209/.283/.368 lifetime against lefties.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)