Oct 8, 2009, 2:08 PM EST
Boston has left Rocco Baldelli off the ALDS roster because of his hip injury, so Brian Anderson and Joey Gathright will be the backup outfielders.
Baldelli typically replaces J.D. Drew in right field against left-handed pitchers, so he would’ve been in line to face Scott Kazmir in Game 3 and Joe Saunders in Game 4.
Baldelli has hit .295/.346/.485 versus lefties during his career, including .290/.343/.441 this season, whereas Drew is a lifetime .262/.366/.428 hitter against southpaws and batted .272/.381/.482 off them this season.
In other words, not a ton of difference either way, although certainly losing Baldelli leaves the Red Sox with less flexibility. Anderson is also a right-handed hitter and could sub for Baldelli as Drew’s platoon partner, but he’s hit just .209/.283/.368 lifetime against lefties.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)