Oct 8, 2009, 12:19 PM EDT
* Jim Leyland complained yesterday about the crucial non-call of a Brandon Inge hit by pitch that led to Detroit’s one-game playoff loss to Minnesota, but added: “We have nobody to blame but ourselves for not wrapping it up last week at home. Shame on us.”
* Manny Delcarmen has been left off the Red Sox’s playoff roster after allowing 22 runs in his last 22 innings. He also has back and neck soreness from a car accident Saturday, so instead Boston will go with Paul Byrd as the 11th pitcher, using him out of the bullpen.
* Carl Pavano is handling the whole “everyone in New York hates him” thing pretty well. He’ll face the Yankees in Game 3 of the ALDS, at the Metrodome.
* Joba Chamberlain said afterward that returning to the bullpen last night was “like riding a bike.”
* Cristian Guzman will undergo shoulder surgery today after making several throwing errors down the stretch, which is all the more reason why the Nationals to move him from shortstop to second base in 2010.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)