Oct 8, 2009, 12:19 PM EDT
* Jim Leyland complained yesterday about the crucial non-call of a Brandon Inge hit by pitch that led to Detroit’s one-game playoff loss to Minnesota, but added: “We have nobody to blame but ourselves for not wrapping it up last week at home. Shame on us.”
* Manny Delcarmen has been left off the Red Sox’s playoff roster after allowing 22 runs in his last 22 innings. He also has back and neck soreness from a car accident Saturday, so instead Boston will go with Paul Byrd as the 11th pitcher, using him out of the bullpen.
* Carl Pavano is handling the whole “everyone in New York hates him” thing pretty well. He’ll face the Yankees in Game 3 of the ALDS, at the Metrodome.
* Joba Chamberlain said afterward that returning to the bullpen last night was “like riding a bike.”
* Cristian Guzman will undergo shoulder surgery today after making several throwing errors down the stretch, which is all the more reason why the Nationals to move him from shortstop to second base in 2010.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)