Oct 8, 2009, 12:19 PM EDT
* Jim Leyland complained yesterday about the crucial non-call of a Brandon Inge hit by pitch that led to Detroit’s one-game playoff loss to Minnesota, but added: “We have nobody to blame but ourselves for not wrapping it up last week at home. Shame on us.”
* Manny Delcarmen has been left off the Red Sox’s playoff roster after allowing 22 runs in his last 22 innings. He also has back and neck soreness from a car accident Saturday, so instead Boston will go with Paul Byrd as the 11th pitcher, using him out of the bullpen.
* Carl Pavano is handling the whole “everyone in New York hates him” thing pretty well. He’ll face the Yankees in Game 3 of the ALDS, at the Metrodome.
* Joba Chamberlain said afterward that returning to the bullpen last night was “like riding a bike.”
* Cristian Guzman will undergo shoulder surgery today after making several throwing errors down the stretch, which is all the more reason why the Nationals to move him from shortstop to second base in 2010.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 12
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (132)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)