Oct 8, 2009, 12:19 PM EDT
* Jim Leyland complained yesterday about the crucial non-call of a Brandon Inge hit by pitch that led to Detroit’s one-game playoff loss to Minnesota, but added: “We have nobody to blame but ourselves for not wrapping it up last week at home. Shame on us.”
* Manny Delcarmen has been left off the Red Sox’s playoff roster after allowing 22 runs in his last 22 innings. He also has back and neck soreness from a car accident Saturday, so instead Boston will go with Paul Byrd as the 11th pitcher, using him out of the bullpen.
* Carl Pavano is handling the whole “everyone in New York hates him” thing pretty well. He’ll face the Yankees in Game 3 of the ALDS, at the Metrodome.
* Joba Chamberlain said afterward that returning to the bullpen last night was “like riding a bike.”
* Cristian Guzman will undergo shoulder surgery today after making several throwing errors down the stretch, which is all the more reason why the Nationals to move him from shortstop to second base in 2010.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 50
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 62
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 20
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)