Oct 8, 2009, 12:19 PM EDT
* Jim Leyland complained yesterday about the crucial non-call of a Brandon Inge hit by pitch that led to Detroit’s one-game playoff loss to Minnesota, but added: “We have nobody to blame but ourselves for not wrapping it up last week at home. Shame on us.”
* Manny Delcarmen has been left off the Red Sox’s playoff roster after allowing 22 runs in his last 22 innings. He also has back and neck soreness from a car accident Saturday, so instead Boston will go with Paul Byrd as the 11th pitcher, using him out of the bullpen.
* Carl Pavano is handling the whole “everyone in New York hates him” thing pretty well. He’ll face the Yankees in Game 3 of the ALDS, at the Metrodome.
* Joba Chamberlain said afterward that returning to the bullpen last night was “like riding a bike.”
* Cristian Guzman will undergo shoulder surgery today after making several throwing errors down the stretch, which is all the more reason why the Nationals to move him from shortstop to second base in 2010.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 120
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 27
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (124)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)