Oct 8, 2009, 10:46 AM EDT
Well, not intentionally, but compare this comment from Torii Hunter . . .
It doesn’t matter what you do in the regular season. It’s all about who wants it more. You see guys who hit 30, 40 homers, drive in 100 runs, and they don’t do a thing in postseason. You’ve got pitchers who dominate in the regular season and don’t win in the postseason. It’s the same game, but different.
With Angel teammate Vlad’s numbers:
162-game average: 36 home runs, 115 RBI
Postseason production: 86 plate appearances, one home run, 7 RBI, .240/.337/.293
So, Torii, you still gonna say it’s about “who wants it more,” or will you admit that, maybe, postseason performance is subject to a lot of random statistical fluctuation that is largely out of a player’s control?
(hat tip for the Vlad comparsion to BTF commenter Shredder who, in addition to knowing the Angels like no one’s business, totally schooled my butt in a fantasy league this year)
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The Lester trade is a win-win 84
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 145
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (145)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (119)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)