Oct 8, 2009, 10:46 AM EDT
Well, not intentionally, but compare this comment from Torii Hunter . . .
It doesn’t matter what you do in the regular season. It’s all about who wants it more. You see guys who hit 30, 40 homers, drive in 100 runs, and they don’t do a thing in postseason. You’ve got pitchers who dominate in the regular season and don’t win in the postseason. It’s the same game, but different.
With Angel teammate Vlad’s numbers:
162-game average: 36 home runs, 115 RBI
Postseason production: 86 plate appearances, one home run, 7 RBI, .240/.337/.293
So, Torii, you still gonna say it’s about “who wants it more,” or will you admit that, maybe, postseason performance is subject to a lot of random statistical fluctuation that is largely out of a player’s control?
(hat tip for the Vlad comparsion to BTF commenter Shredder who, in addition to knowing the Angels like no one’s business, totally schooled my butt in a fantasy league this year)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 2
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 15
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 43
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 32
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)