Adam Wainwright should probably stop his whining

Oct 9, 2009, 9:32 AM EDT

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s and Cardinals’ pitcher Adam Wainwright’s reaction to the Holliday drop:

The Dodgers stretched the inning improbably after left fielder Matt Holliday lost first baseman James Loney’s line drive in the glare of late-afternoon lights and a backdrop of towel-waving fans.

The ball caught Holliday in the stomach, knocking the wind out of everyone wearing road gray.

“He lost the ball in the 50,000 white towels shaking in front of his face,” starting pitcher and would-be hero Adam Wainwright said. “It doesn’t seem really fair that an opposing team should be allowed to shake white towels when there’s a white baseball flying through the air. Dodger blue towels — how about that?”

Except that’s not how it happened. As Dodger Thoughts’ Jon Weisman points out — and as the video from MLB.com appears to show — the towels didn’t seem to be waving until after the drop. Indeed, the Dodgers fans were pretty bummed at that point because they were one out away from a loss and, until the exact moment of the error, assumed that out number three was in the air.  I know the natural reaction is to stand up for your teammate when things are tough, but Wainwright is plain wrong to blame the towels.

But even if they were waving, so what? It’s called home field advantage. If the Cardinals don’t want to deal with hostiles waving white towels, they should have won a couple of extra games in September and finished with a better record than L.A.

Thinking more about it, does anyone remember back in the mid-to-late 80s when NFL quarterbacks used to be able to step out from behind center and get an official time out if the crowd was too loud?  I have this image of Steve Fuller doing this, like, ten times in a row when he played for the Bears. QBs would even get the ref to warn the crowd to be quiet, and if they didn’t, the defense was assessed with a delay of game penalty. It was probably the stupidest rule to ever exist in professional sports.

Thankfully, football players put on their big boy pants and learned to deal and the rule was changed.  As a result homefield advantage meant something once again (at least until all the new sound-killing stadiums came online).  Baseball players should probably learn to suck it up and deal too.

1. Tom - Oct 9, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Hey Calcaterra: I don’t think Wainwrights comments are exactly “whining”. Whining is the drivel we read from your articles. So as you sit there in your Dodger panties give the guy a break it was one comment out of an entire interview that showed some frustration with not getting that last out. You Tool.

2. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 9, 2009 at 10:47 AM

“Dodger panties?” You do know I picked St. Louis to pic this series, right?
    Wainwright: “It’s not fair. The home team’s fans were cheering for the home teams. Almost giving them sort of unfair advantage! They should be forced to change the color of their towels!”
    How is that not whining again?

3. Alex K - Oct 9, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Dodger panties
    That comment just made my day.

4. bob lamb - Oct 9, 2009 at 11:06 AM

yes its whining…..seems they wave towels, drums, music, even monkeys in all baseball, and football games….and they do it on both sides…its part of the american past time….so if you are into american apple pie, the fall classic, and enjoying good quality games then watch it and enjoy it..as for wainwright…he pitched well and tell him to look at his pay check…seems most likely its better than all of ours..and yep holiday blew it…part of the play offs….go dodger and kept waving those white towels….haha

5. Andy L - Oct 9, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Yeah, Tom is definitely out of line here, but come on, Craig…”Dodger panties” is funny.

6. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 9, 2009 at 11:23 AM

I will grant you that, Andy. Tom: I stand by my statement about the whining, but I will admit that “Dodger panties” is pretty good. So good that I’ll probably have to find a way to work it into a post sometime soon. “Yankee panties,” “Twins panties . . .”

7. Dr. Yogi - Oct 9, 2009 at 11:53 AM

The Twins have been using white Homer Hankies ever since the 1987 World Series.

8. Lid - Oct 9, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Hey Tom, deal with it. They lost, don’t blame the towels, I guess you haven’t seen the video, I don’t see any towels waving until after the MAJOR SCREW UP, so put your blanky down and face it. Oh, and the comment about the panties, I think your the one wearing panties, probably a thong!!! Right on Calcaterra!
    GO DODGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

9. DugoutNut - Oct 9, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Aw geez, now I have to have people who come over to watch baseball with me show me their underwear. I don’t allow Yankee ANYTHING in this house (ask my mom what happened when she showed up with a Yankee shirt to visit her grandchildren who, as properly raised baseball fans, hate the Yankees too). And I have some friends that probably go commando and I really don’t need proof……damn the suggestion of Dodger Panties.

10. rnmwater - Oct 9, 2009 at 12:09 PM

get off Holiday Franklin should have been man enough to over come the error. Look at game 1 Kemp makes a bone head play and allows a run to score and what does Broxton do srikes out the next batter with a 100 mph fastball at the knee’s. So who is the real goat here?

11. Shely - Oct 9, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Hello out there. Am I the only one who gets it? Dont blame Wainwright and don’t blame Matt. The culprit is TLR. Why in the world does he think Franklin is a closer? He did this before the Jason I. He doesn’t know when to cut the guy lose.
    Shely

12. DinFing - Oct 9, 2009 at 12:10 PM

White towels….It’s just wAINRIGHT… or fair
    Wah Wah… it just hurts. need to find the blame on something

13. Spinner - Oct 9, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Hey Holliday, karma is a bitch isn’t it?? Remember when you scored the “winning run” against the Padres in the play-in game a couple years ago when you were with the Rockies? You STILL haven’t touched home plate. Yes sir, karma sucks sometimes.
    bitter padres fan

14. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 9, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Spinner — you didn’t get the memo from Tom? Going forward, if you sign off on a comment that is based on your status as a fan of a particular team, use some variation of the following:
    /Padres panties

15. Michael - Oct 9, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Fans at Dodger stadium, I have noticed, have been waving the white towels even when the Dodgers are in the field. So if this is a potential distraction for the opponent it is for the hometeam as well.

16. Eliza - Oct 9, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Craig, I’ve been following Wainwright for a loooong time, and what I think you’re missing is that he’s both more tongue-in-cheek and more gracious than just about anyone else on the team. I read this comment as a bit of bitter humor at a very rough moment. Out of context, sure, it sounds like a whine, but knowing the guy, I’m inclined to give him a break.
    And for heaven’s sake—of all the players who were goats yesterday, is it really fair that Wainwright’s the one picked on in a headline on the MSNBC home page?? How about “Franklin Should Probably Stop His Charade of Being a Real Closer”?

17. Mode: Theif and Lair - Oct 9, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Craig, the only time I can see you wearing “Yankees Panties” is if I get another email with pictures of what some people do to others when they get so drunk they can’t tell if they’re crapping themselves or having a full mural drawn all over their body.
    I have no idea what you look like, but I still don’t want to see a picture of you passed out in a bathroom wearing nothing but “Yankees panties.”

18. Ryan - Oct 9, 2009 at 2:01 PM

The white towels didn’t seem to affect anybody for the first 17 2/3 inning of this series…so why now?

19. mike - Oct 9, 2009 at 2:02 PM

The question really shouldn’t be if Craig is wearing Dodger panties. It should be whether Holliday was wearing a Cardinals cup.

20. mike - Oct 9, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Wainwright pitched a great game.
    But his bitter comments were a joke.
    Way to come off like a whiney sore loser.

21. PimP JuicE MaN - Oct 9, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Great pick Craig, 2-0 (zip,zero,nada,zilch,nothing)………..

22. Anthony - Oct 9, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Holliday should have caught the ball, for sure. But geez, a professional pitcher and playoff closer should be able to get at least ONE of the next four guys out, for goodness sake! Any closer worth his salt would have picked up his teammate and gotten one of the next batters out.
    That’s not even mentioning the fact that Holliday hit a HR and was a major reason his team had the lead in that spot to begin with.

23. PimP JuicE MaN - Oct 9, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Since crying and whinning have become a part of baseball I will be looking for a new sport to follow. Since I like watching TOUGH, STRONG ATHLETES COMPETE WITHOUT CRYING AND WHINNING I WILL BE WATCHING MORE GYMNASTICS…………

24. PimP JuicE MaN - Oct 9, 2009 at 2:50 PM

25. Mode: Theif and Lair - Oct 9, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Steve Bartman says “Hello”

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2462)