Oct 9, 2009, 10:25 PM EDT
The Twins and Joe Mauer were the latest victims of atrocious postseason umpiring in Friday’s game against the Yankees, when the likely MVP sliced a liner down the left-field line and had it drop a foot fair, only to see the ball ruled foul by left-field umpire Phil Cuzzi.
Cuzzi did have to contend with left fielder Melky Cabrera’s body on the play, as the ball ticked off Cabrera’s glove and then dropped, but he hardly seemed to be screened. He should have had a clear view of the ball coming down inside the line.
Cuzzi’s sole purpose in being on the field is making that call, and he simply didn’t do his job. It’s just the latest example of an obvious call being missed by a seemingly bored umpire, and it’s yet another in a long line of great cases for expanded instant replay in baseball.
Forget putting six umpires on the field. Simply put one in the booth with the TBS, FOX or whatever feed in front of him. Within 10 seconds of Cuzzi making the call, it was obvious to the millions of people watching that he had blown it. Why should anyone stand for it? We need to let the players on the field decide the game’s outcome, and technology can help get us closer to that goal.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)