Oct 9, 2009, 11:11 AM EST
There are no actual named sources tied to this article, so I have to assume it’s wishful thinking more than anything else, but the Chicago Sun-Times’ Chris De Luca is chattering about a potential Milton Bradley for Pat Burrell trade:
Sources say the Cubs have been pushing the Tampa Bay Rays for a quick deal . . . The Rays emerged as potential trade partners because they are looking to shed their own deal gone bad. After losing out on Bradley last winter, the Rays signed outfielder Pat Burrell to a two-year, $16 million contract.
De Luca hooks this all on the Rays being interested in Bradley last offseason. Of course, last offseason Bradley was coming off a high-production yet quiet off-the-field year in Texas. Aside from the arguable matchup between the bad Burrell contract and the way worse Bradley contract, there’s no indication that the Rays are interested.
The Rays are run by some smart people, so I really can’t see them going for such a deal, even if the Cubs picked up the second year of Bradley’s deal, which they’d almost certainly have to in order to get past the laugh test.
But it’s fun to think about how the Cubs could rid themselves of Bradley. I’m dubious of the Rays taking Bradleu on, but I think this theory — a challenge trade of one bad contract for another — is the only way it’s going to happen.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 178
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (188)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)