Oct 9, 2009, 11:11 AM EDT
There are no actual named sources tied to this article, so I have to assume it’s wishful thinking more than anything else, but the Chicago Sun-Times’ Chris De Luca is chattering about a potential Milton Bradley for Pat Burrell trade:
Sources say the Cubs have been pushing the Tampa Bay Rays for a quick deal . . . The Rays emerged as potential trade partners because they are looking to shed their own deal gone bad. After losing out on Bradley last winter, the Rays signed outfielder Pat Burrell to a two-year, $16 million contract.
De Luca hooks this all on the Rays being interested in Bradley last offseason. Of course, last offseason Bradley was coming off a high-production yet quiet off-the-field year in Texas. Aside from the arguable matchup between the bad Burrell contract and the way worse Bradley contract, there’s no indication that the Rays are interested.
The Rays are run by some smart people, so I really can’t see them going for such a deal, even if the Cubs picked up the second year of Bradley’s deal, which they’d almost certainly have to in order to get past the laugh test.
But it’s fun to think about how the Cubs could rid themselves of Bradley. I’m dubious of the Rays taking Bradleu on, but I think this theory — a challenge trade of one bad contract for another — is the only way it’s going to happen.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)