Oct 9, 2009, 2:27 PM EST
With the Cardinals down 2-0 to the Dodgers after last night’s heartbreaking loss, manager Tony La Russa indicated that Chris Carpenter is an option to start Game 4 on short rest if St. Louis can avoid elimination tomorrow.
However, as Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch notes Carpenter hasn’t started on short rest since returning from elbow surgery in 2007, needed 105 pitches just to get through five ineffective innings Wednesday, and worked from the stretch about two-thirds of the time.
Joel Pineiro is starting Game 3 for the Cardinals, leaving La Russa to choose between John Smoltz or Kyle Lohse for Game 4 if Carpenter doesn’t get the assignment.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 7
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 62
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4