Oct 9, 2009, 2:27 PM EDT
With the Cardinals down 2-0 to the Dodgers after last night’s heartbreaking loss, manager Tony La Russa indicated that Chris Carpenter is an option to start Game 4 on short rest if St. Louis can avoid elimination tomorrow.
However, as Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch notes Carpenter hasn’t started on short rest since returning from elbow surgery in 2007, needed 105 pitches just to get through five ineffective innings Wednesday, and worked from the stretch about two-thirds of the time.
Joel Pineiro is starting Game 3 for the Cardinals, leaving La Russa to choose between John Smoltz or Kyle Lohse for Game 4 if Carpenter doesn’t get the assignment.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)