Oct 9, 2009, 2:27 PM EDT
With the Cardinals down 2-0 to the Dodgers after last night’s heartbreaking loss, manager Tony La Russa indicated that Chris Carpenter is an option to start Game 4 on short rest if St. Louis can avoid elimination tomorrow.
However, as Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch notes Carpenter hasn’t started on short rest since returning from elbow surgery in 2007, needed 105 pitches just to get through five ineffective innings Wednesday, and worked from the stretch about two-thirds of the time.
Joel Pineiro is starting Game 3 for the Cardinals, leaving La Russa to choose between John Smoltz or Kyle Lohse for Game 4 if Carpenter doesn’t get the assignment.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 72
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)