Oct 9, 2009, 2:27 PM EDT
With the Cardinals down 2-0 to the Dodgers after last night’s heartbreaking loss, manager Tony La Russa indicated that Chris Carpenter is an option to start Game 4 on short rest if St. Louis can avoid elimination tomorrow.
However, as Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch notes Carpenter hasn’t started on short rest since returning from elbow surgery in 2007, needed 105 pitches just to get through five ineffective innings Wednesday, and worked from the stretch about two-thirds of the time.
Joel Pineiro is starting Game 3 for the Cardinals, leaving La Russa to choose between John Smoltz or Kyle Lohse for Game 4 if Carpenter doesn’t get the assignment.
- The beauty of belief 22
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 35
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 71
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)