Oct 9, 2009, 10:27 AM EDT
Your Yankee mileage may vary, but there’s no escaping the financial realities of it all:
Of the seven billboards around Atlanta promoting the start of the playoffs, Jeter, the All-Star shortstop who has been with the Yankees since 1995, is on five of them. Around the country, TBS has similar billboards featuring St. Louis Cardinals first baseman Albert Pujols and Los Angeles Dodgers catcher Russell Martin. Jeter is on 60 percent of them.
The Yankees are crucial to getting casual viewers to tune into playoff games in the early rounds, [TBS President David Levy] said . . . “It’s essential for them to get higher ratings at those events to get the viewership and advertising revenue they want,” [sports consultant Marc Ganis] said. “And no team generates the interest and the eyeballs, particularly in the playoffs, that the Yankees do.”
Russell Martin? Really? That’s the best they could do for L.A.?
Anyway, the larger point — explained in extensive financial and television ratings detail in the linked article — remains: the Yankees draw eyes, and eyes draw dollars. It’s still worth discussing whether the networks and media at large focus too much on the big city east coast teams, but any such conversation that doesn’t take this business reality into account first isn’t an informed conversation.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)