Oct 9, 2009, 9:59 AM EST
Back when John Elway still roamed the Earth and the Broncos still got a lot of prime time games, the best night each year was that inevitable mid-to-late October Monday Night game in Denver. You know the one: where the snow fell down, the crowd went nuts and you sat on your couch and enjoyed the living hell out of football at altitude.
I wonder if we’ll get the same charge out of baseball under those conditions. Snow. Wind. High of 34 tomorrow. The showers are supposed to tail off towards the evening, but my old man was a meteorologist and he’d be the first to admit that determining the exact time snow showers will stop and start is more art than science. We could have squall on our hands, kids!
Pedro Martinez is poised to start for the Phillies tomorrow night. After last year’s World Series his teammates are probably prepared for less-than-ideal conditions, but it’s not exactly Pedro’s element. J.A. Happ pitched college ball at Northwestern and based on the Big Ten baseball I’ve watched, there’s no doubt he has pitched in snow before. Too bad Charlie Manuel mismanaged the living hell out of his pitching staff yesterday, because now neither he nor Blanton are likely available.
Thumpity thump-thump, thumpity thump-thump, look at Pedro go . . .
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 27
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 30
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 94
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)