Oct 9, 2009, 9:59 AM EDT
Back when John Elway still roamed the Earth and the Broncos still got a lot of prime time games, the best night each year was that inevitable mid-to-late October Monday Night game in Denver. You know the one: where the snow fell down, the crowd went nuts and you sat on your couch and enjoyed the living hell out of football at altitude.
I wonder if we’ll get the same charge out of baseball under those conditions. Snow. Wind. High of 34 tomorrow. The showers are supposed to tail off towards the evening, but my old man was a meteorologist and he’d be the first to admit that determining the exact time snow showers will stop and start is more art than science. We could have squall on our hands, kids!
Pedro Martinez is poised to start for the Phillies tomorrow night. After last year’s World Series his teammates are probably prepared for less-than-ideal conditions, but it’s not exactly Pedro’s element. J.A. Happ pitched college ball at Northwestern and based on the Big Ten baseball I’ve watched, there’s no doubt he has pitched in snow before. Too bad Charlie Manuel mismanaged the living hell out of his pitching staff yesterday, because now neither he nor Blanton are likely available.
Thumpity thump-thump, thumpity thump-thump, look at Pedro go . . .
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 36
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (92)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)