Oct 9, 2009, 9:59 AM EST
Back when John Elway still roamed the Earth and the Broncos still got a lot of prime time games, the best night each year was that inevitable mid-to-late October Monday Night game in Denver. You know the one: where the snow fell down, the crowd went nuts and you sat on your couch and enjoyed the living hell out of football at altitude.
I wonder if we’ll get the same charge out of baseball under those conditions. Snow. Wind. High of 34 tomorrow. The showers are supposed to tail off towards the evening, but my old man was a meteorologist and he’d be the first to admit that determining the exact time snow showers will stop and start is more art than science. We could have squall on our hands, kids!
Pedro Martinez is poised to start for the Phillies tomorrow night. After last year’s World Series his teammates are probably prepared for less-than-ideal conditions, but it’s not exactly Pedro’s element. J.A. Happ pitched college ball at Northwestern and based on the Big Ten baseball I’ve watched, there’s no doubt he has pitched in snow before. Too bad Charlie Manuel mismanaged the living hell out of his pitching staff yesterday, because now neither he nor Blanton are likely available.
Thumpity thump-thump, thumpity thump-thump, look at Pedro go . . .
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)