Oct 9, 2009, 12:20 PM EDT
* After turning in an absolutely brutal performance last night as the first-base umpire in Game 1 of the Red Sox-Angels series, C.B. Bucknor will be calling balls and strikes in Game 2 tonight. Bucknor was voted baseball’s worst umpire several years ago in a Sports Illustrated poll and it’ll be a surprise if there aren’t some fireworks tonight.
* Baseball-Reference.com dug up the stats and found that home teams have a .540 winning percentage in the playoffs since 1995. During that same time home teams have a .539 winning percentage in the regular season. My guess is that conventional wisdom would say that homefield advantage is significantly more valuable in the postseason, but as is so often the case conventional wisdom would be off the mark.
* Unlike the Yankees benching Jorge Posada to give Jose Molina the Game 2 start as A.J. Burnett’s personal catcher, the Red Sox are sticking with Victor Martinez behind the plate despite Josh Beckett’s success working with Jason Varitek. Beckett has worked with Varitek in 83 of his last 90 starts and struggled in three outings with Martinez as his catcher.
* Former big leaguer Marcus Giles was arrested earlier this week and charged with domestic battery after police were called to his California home at three in the morning. Giles’ older brother, Brian Giles, has been accused of abusing his ex-girlfriend as part of a $10 million palimony case.
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 23
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 45
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 47
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 37
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 100
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (99)