Link-O-Rama: Pedro gets the Game 3 nod for Phillies

Oct 9, 2009, 3:17 PM EDT

* As expected, Pedro Martinez has officially been named the Phillies’ starter for Game 3 tomorrow night in Colorado. He’ll face Jason Hammel with the NLDS tied at 1-1.
Martinez hasn’t pitched since September 30 and has started just once since September 19 because of a neck injury, but went 5-1 with a 3.63 ERA after joining the rotation in mid-August. Asked about forecasts of 30-degree temperatures and possible snow, Martinez said: “I’m going to enjoy the snow. Maybe I’ll be rounding the bases in a snowmobile.”
* Ron Gardenhire made a lineup switch for tonight’s Game 2 of the ALDS, starting Carlos Gomez in center field, shifting Denard Span to right field and Jason Kubel to designated hitter, and benching Jose Morales. Gomez isn’t much of a hitter, but the defensive upgrade definitely makes the move worthwhile.
* On the heels of my piece about Chip Caray’s awfulness as an announcer, here’s a link to Vin Scully calling the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers victory. You know, just so everyone can hear what a truly great announcer sounds like, even at the age of 81.
* DeWayne Wise provided the biggest highlight of the White Sox’s season when his amazing catch in center field preserved Mark Buehrle’s perfect game in July, but he’s now a free agent after being removed from the 40-man roster today. Wise is a good defender with plenty of speed, but hit just .225/.262/.366 this season and his career .635 OPS is second-worst among all active outfielders ahead of only Joey Gathright.
* Cole Hamels’ wife gave birth to a baby boy this morning.

1. Lionheart! - Oct 9, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Vin Scully. Meh. God forbid he ever displays any jubilation in his team winning, especially after a sweet comeback win like last night. Dude never shows any emotion, just a bland drowsy calling of the game, heck we can all do that! Caray may blow, but at least he shows some passion and excitement when calling. Sorry broadcasting is such a bore Vinny, but I think you need to purchase a mirror, look in it, and realize how lucky you are that broadcasting is your job.

2. br - Oct 9, 2009 at 4:27 PM

yeah, you’re right, vin scully is horrible. give me hawk harrelson instead. at least he gets excited. or you could just put a bullet through my brain.

3. BringBackYaz - Oct 9, 2009 at 5:11 PM

I would settle for a Joe Morgan/John Miller mute button on the remote. “Press 3 if you would also like Steve Phillips to be quiet”.

4. blindrid - Oct 9, 2009 at 5:14 PM

You gotta be kidding me. Anyone that does not think that Scully is truly one of the greats, doesn’t know and doesn’t follow the game. Those that think they need to cheerlead to call a game. Hawk Harrelson doesn’t hold a candle. The majority of the announcers work their own team’s game so everlyone thinks an announcer needs to be a homer to be good. Not quite.

5. Mode: Theif and Lair - Oct 9, 2009 at 5:19 PM

My hopes when I am 81
    1. I’m actually 81 and not dead
    2. I don’t need to use adult dipers
    3. If I do use adult dipers, the ability to change myself.
    4. I can walk
    5. I can talk
    !! The man calls baseball games better than 97% of all others that attempt to do the job!!
    Amazing

6. Karl - Oct 9, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Chip Caray is a fine announcer and comparing him to one of the best play-by-play men in sports history is very unfair. It’s like saying that the 99 golfers ranked #2-100 in the world are awful because they’re not as good as Tiger Woods
    As for Hawk Harrelson – he comes across to me as the most unprofessional broadcaster I have ever heard in any sport. He would be a great high school cheerleader, but this is Major League Baseball he’s covering and while there’s nothing wrong wrong with a little bit of home team partiality, his work is way over the top. A good broadcaster in any sport calls the game.
    Congrats to Mr. & Mrs. Hamels. It nice to hear that what’s really important came out well. Great line from Pedro!

7. br - Oct 9, 2009 at 5:33 PM

um…guys….i agree with you about harrelson being unbearable. that’s why i followed my comment with “or you could just put a bullet through my brain”.

8. Mode: Theif and Lair - Oct 9, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Leo, if you need a broadcaster to “exciten-up” the game, that’s your problem. The game itself is exciting enough for me. I don’t want to hear “The Giants win the pennant, The Giants win the pennant …. ” I already knew that. Vin Scully was the Dodgers broadcaster at that time too and he did what he did here, he let you hear the crowd noise following a great win.

9. Donald - Oct 9, 2009 at 5:38 PM

The real tragedy in all this is that the baseball season has become so long so as to subject the sport to freezing weather AND EVEN snow! What a joke!

10. tropicaldon - Oct 9, 2009 at 5:54 PM

The worst announcer by far is Terry Kennedy (not sure of his first name), former RED SOX manager and part-time RAYS and FOX SPORTS announcer. He misidentifies players and screws up with the pitched ball that it is laughable. It is one thing to have a bumbling team (and that is just what the RAYS are), it is quite another thing to have a bumbling announcer.

11. Dan - Oct 9, 2009 at 6:22 PM

If you love the game of baseball or have just simple like for the game then you have to love Vin Scully. I have friends who hate the Dodgers but even they will admit that they don’t make announcers like Vin Scully any more and that is a shame. An announcer should provide knowledge of the game, give a story or two about the behind the scenes of the game, but in the end, let the game be the game. I don’t need an announcer to get me excited that my team just won, I can read the score board to do that.

12. O'MalleyCat - Oct 9, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Vin Scully = 3 talking heads!!

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3228)