Oct 9, 2009, 3:17 PM EDT
* As expected, Pedro Martinez has officially been named the Phillies’ starter for Game 3 tomorrow night in Colorado. He’ll face Jason Hammel with the NLDS tied at 1-1.
Martinez hasn’t pitched since September 30 and has started just once since September 19 because of a neck injury, but went 5-1 with a 3.63 ERA after joining the rotation in mid-August. Asked about forecasts of 30-degree temperatures and possible snow, Martinez said: “I’m going to enjoy the snow. Maybe I’ll be rounding the bases in a snowmobile.”
* Ron Gardenhire made a lineup switch for tonight’s Game 2 of the ALDS, starting Carlos Gomez in center field, shifting Denard Span to right field and Jason Kubel to designated hitter, and benching Jose Morales. Gomez isn’t much of a hitter, but the defensive upgrade definitely makes the move worthwhile.
* On the heels of my piece about Chip Caray’s awfulness as an announcer, here’s a link to Vin Scully calling the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers victory. You know, just so everyone can hear what a truly great announcer sounds like, even at the age of 81.
* DeWayne Wise provided the biggest highlight of the White Sox’s season when his amazing catch in center field preserved Mark Buehrle’s perfect game in July, but he’s now a free agent after being removed from the 40-man roster today. Wise is a good defender with plenty of speed, but hit just .225/.262/.366 this season and his career .635 OPS is second-worst among all active outfielders ahead of only Joey Gathright.
* Cole Hamels’ wife gave birth to a baby boy this morning.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)