Oct 9, 2009, 3:17 PM EDT
* As expected, Pedro Martinez has officially been named the Phillies’ starter for Game 3 tomorrow night in Colorado. He’ll face Jason Hammel with the NLDS tied at 1-1.
Martinez hasn’t pitched since September 30 and has started just once since September 19 because of a neck injury, but went 5-1 with a 3.63 ERA after joining the rotation in mid-August. Asked about forecasts of 30-degree temperatures and possible snow, Martinez said: “I’m going to enjoy the snow. Maybe I’ll be rounding the bases in a snowmobile.”
* Ron Gardenhire made a lineup switch for tonight’s Game 2 of the ALDS, starting Carlos Gomez in center field, shifting Denard Span to right field and Jason Kubel to designated hitter, and benching Jose Morales. Gomez isn’t much of a hitter, but the defensive upgrade definitely makes the move worthwhile.
* On the heels of my piece about Chip Caray’s awfulness as an announcer, here’s a link to Vin Scully calling the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers victory. You know, just so everyone can hear what a truly great announcer sounds like, even at the age of 81.
* DeWayne Wise provided the biggest highlight of the White Sox’s season when his amazing catch in center field preserved Mark Buehrle’s perfect game in July, but he’s now a free agent after being removed from the 40-man roster today. Wise is a good defender with plenty of speed, but hit just .225/.262/.366 this season and his career .635 OPS is second-worst among all active outfielders ahead of only Joey Gathright.
* Cole Hamels’ wife gave birth to a baby boy this morning.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million