Oct 9, 2009, 3:17 PM EDT
* As expected, Pedro Martinez has officially been named the Phillies’ starter for Game 3 tomorrow night in Colorado. He’ll face Jason Hammel with the NLDS tied at 1-1.
Martinez hasn’t pitched since September 30 and has started just once since September 19 because of a neck injury, but went 5-1 with a 3.63 ERA after joining the rotation in mid-August. Asked about forecasts of 30-degree temperatures and possible snow, Martinez said: “I’m going to enjoy the snow. Maybe I’ll be rounding the bases in a snowmobile.”
* Ron Gardenhire made a lineup switch for tonight’s Game 2 of the ALDS, starting Carlos Gomez in center field, shifting Denard Span to right field and Jason Kubel to designated hitter, and benching Jose Morales. Gomez isn’t much of a hitter, but the defensive upgrade definitely makes the move worthwhile.
* On the heels of my piece about Chip Caray’s awfulness as an announcer, here’s a link to Vin Scully calling the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers victory. You know, just so everyone can hear what a truly great announcer sounds like, even at the age of 81.
* DeWayne Wise provided the biggest highlight of the White Sox’s season when his amazing catch in center field preserved Mark Buehrle’s perfect game in July, but he’s now a free agent after being removed from the 40-man roster today. Wise is a good defender with plenty of speed, but hit just .225/.262/.366 this season and his career .635 OPS is second-worst among all active outfielders ahead of only Joey Gathright.
* Cole Hamels’ wife gave birth to a baby boy this morning.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 6
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 24
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)