Oct 9, 2009, 8:56 AM EDT
Joe Girardi, trying to manage Jorge Posada’s feelings over getting benched in favor of Jose Molina:
Yankees manager Joe Girardi had the conversation with Jorge Posada on Sunday, a talk similar to one he had with Joe Torre when Posada was about to cut into Girardi’s time behind the plate.
Girardi didn’t like it, and he didn’t expect Posada to be excited about light-hitting Jose Molina catching A.J. Burnett in the postseason.
“When I played here, we split guys during the playoffs,” Girardi said Thursday. “Of course, you want to play every day. I wouldn’t want a catcher who didn’t want to play every day. That would bother me inside if the guy didn’t want to play every day.”
Given that Posada was the better choice behind the plate both in 1999 and today, I don’t know how this is supposed to make Posada feel any better.
That aside, I think this is more or less a non-story. People really want Posada to fly off the handle I suppose. It would certainly make for some great theater. But (a) Posada just does not seem to be wired like that; and (b) I’d be shocked if Girardi didn’t have a closed door meeting with Posada in which he told him “look, Burnett is a head case and I need to manage his head. I know this is going to chafe your ego a bit, but please do whatever you can to keep cool, OK?”
Maybe it would be different if the Yankees were down 1-0 instead of up, but the most we’re going to ever get out of this are the sorts of “hey, I always want to play” quotes from Posada like we see in the linked article.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 77
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 72
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (77)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (73)