Managing Jorge Posada's ego

Oct 9, 2009, 8:56 AM EDT

Joe Girardi, trying to manage Jorge Posada’s feelings over getting benched in favor of Jose Molina:

Yankees manager Joe Girardi had the conversation with Jorge Posada on Sunday, a talk similar to one he had with Joe Torre when Posada was about to cut into Girardi’s time behind the plate.

Girardi didn’t like it, and he didn’t expect Posada to be excited about light-hitting Jose Molina catching A.J. Burnett in the postseason.

“When I played here, we split guys during the playoffs,” Girardi said Thursday. “Of course, you want to play every day. I wouldn’t want a catcher who didn’t want to play every day. That would bother me inside if the guy didn’t want to play every day.”

Given that Posada was the better choice behind the plate both in 1999 and today, I don’t know how this is supposed to make Posada feel any better.

That aside, I think this is more or less a non-story. People really want Posada to fly off the handle I suppose. It would certainly make for some great theater. But (a) Posada just does not seem to be wired like that; and (b) I’d be shocked if Girardi didn’t have a closed door meeting with Posada in which he told him “look, Burnett is a head case and I need to manage his head. I know this is going to chafe your ego a bit, but please do whatever you can to keep cool, OK?”

Maybe it would be different if the Yankees were down 1-0 instead of up, but the most we’re going to ever get out of this are the sorts of “hey, I always want to play” quotes from Posada like we see in the linked article.

1. hop - Oct 9, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Yet another stupid article by craig here, why do they print any of his garbage? Can someone explain that please?

2. brad - Oct 9, 2009 at 9:45 AM

I can explain. Some of us including me have been Yankee fans since the 50’s believe it or not. So why wouldn’t we want to read articles about the Yankees. No brainer, NO BRAINER.

3. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 9, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Hop — my apologies: I had meant to order the man holding the gun to your head while you read this blog to stand down, but I forgot. He’s gone now, so you may stop reading and devote more time to complaining about other free, voluntary services that bother you for unspecified reasons.

4. the foz - Oct 9, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Yeah, pretty much a non-story, but because it’s the Yankees, of course it’s a big deal (I’m looking at you ESPN, not Craig). Maybe during tongight’s game, the TBS announcers will acknowledge the existence of the the visiting team as well. And yes, I am a Twins fan.

5. BigBBFan - Oct 9, 2009 at 10:21 AM

This should have happened before. Posada has been and still is a good catcher, but defensively he is not in Molina’s class. Posada’s skills have eroded to the point that he sometimes has iron hands. How many more passed balls will be blamed on the pitcher “crossing him up”?

6. John - Oct 9, 2009 at 10:32 AM

It comes down to what is more important to NY right now, Molina’s ability to manage A.J. or Jorge’s offense. Personally I agree with Giradi’s decision for the Yankees have a ton of offense without Posada’s bat but A.J. has been known to implode giving up a ton of runs at any given time so Molina it is. But then again that’s just me.

7. Richard Anthony - Oct 9, 2009 at 10:34 AM

I hate Posada.. ever since he said he believed Clemens… that meant he was saying that Andy Petite was lying.

8. come on man - Oct 9, 2009 at 10:43 AM

What are you talking about, what you wrote has NOTHING to do
    with the story, please focus on the topic.I will summarize for you
    the problem, Burnette has had problems with Posadas game calling, the Rocket, Pettite, Cone,Moose,Boomer, Gooden and many many other pitcher’s had no problems with his game calling, Joe Torre had no problem with his game calling.Giradi should have nipped this in the beginning telling A.J. , Posadas our catcher he has 3 world series rings, so get straight, he didn’t and a veteran catcher with a good bat sits while A.J. gets a good defensive catcher with no bat to call his game.Posada is pissed but he is a team guy.

9. come on man - Oct 9, 2009 at 11:00 AM

I noticed many people pay no attention to the facts and just post
    comments on their personal feeling’s with no substance.
    Yanks will bust up the Twins anyway …….

10. Ryan - Oct 9, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Hey Craig, you keep making fun of the yankees, we’ll keep soaking up your articles.

11. Love Democracy! - Oct 9, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Not only I read this column to entertain mysfelf with the sports gossips, but the punches between Craig and the bloggers are a beauty of democracy… Keep it going Craig! GO YANKEES!

12. jesse fisher - Oct 9, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Posada is a good player but his batting average is far from good.

13. planktonDisciple - Oct 9, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Posada usually under performs his career reg season numbers ( .277 avg .480 slugging). His career postseason numbers are not impressive (326 ab .236 avg .377 slugging). Given Burnett’s performance with Posada vs Molina it’s a no brainer. Girardi is correct that all competitors should be upset when they don’t play. Still expressing this discontent to the press is totally uncool.

14. dealdo - Oct 9, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Yea the guy that posted this article is a freakin jackass, it’s pointless drivel

15. Kim - Oct 9, 2009 at 2:28 PM

So Joe Girardi pulled Jorge Posada because Joe Torre put Posada in to replace Girardi way back when?! Wow. You don’t want to get on this guy’s bad side. The Yankee saga continues . . . As The World Turns.

16. planktonDisciple - Oct 9, 2009 at 4:56 PM

This isn’t about Posada playing instead of Girardi way back when. Girardi only mentions that to needle Posada. Burnett has done much better with Molina, than he has with Posada, and Posada’s postseason hitting is nothing to write home about.

17. pete - Oct 9, 2009 at 5:09 PM

i would say .270+ avg for a catcher is good at the hardest position in the game (especially battling injuries most the year), just because joe mauer who is more than 10 years younger is hitting off the charts, doesnt mean a power hitting catcher who draws walks and has a high OBP needs to have a high batting average. if you think baseball is only about batting average and thats all you look at to judge a player, you have no clue how the sport actually works.
    any why is his ego so big? because he said he would rather play than sit in the playoffs, but will sit if it means the team wins? whats so bad about that??
    you must be a red sox fan, tell jason varitek that mario mendoza is missing his .200 batting average and mike piazza is missing his right arm throwing runners out.

18. hop - Oct 9, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Craig, its a non issue kid, ok? Nobody is throwing punches like they are on the Fla State coaching staff. You and the rest of the moron media is trying to make something out of nothing here. Next time just write you hate the Yanks and cut thru all the BS this way we know exactly where you stand and dont have to cut thru your smoke screen attempt. I’m glad nobody is paying you for such garbage, now i am just trying to figure out why MSNBC is posting it.

19. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 9, 2009 at 8:48 PM

So let me get this straight, hop: You read this post first thing in the morning, and believe that it’s “stupid” and it’s “garbage.” Yet you take the time to post a comment. Then, 11 hours later, you come back, read it again — or at least the comments — and feel the need to once again post a comment saying that it’s garbage. Most sane people, who encounter garbage, would ignore it and move on. Yet here you are, fascinated and engaged!
    From this I can only conclude that you either (a) don’t really think it’s garbage and just can’t bear to be apart from me and my writing; or (b) can’t tolerate that someone isn’t as addicted to the Yankees-are-awesome Kool Aid as you and feel the need to rant and rave about it, which underscores your insecurities.
    Which can it be?
    No matter the case, however, know this: the fact that you keep coming back and clicking on this article — the fact that it made react in such a fashion that you can’t help yourself but to come back again and again — may provide you with a clue or two as to why MSNBC is posting it.

20. tank74 - Oct 9, 2009 at 9:23 PM

TBS PITCHTRAX: Ignoring Craig Altogether, if you’re fortunate enought to be watching on HD and can see the tbs pitchtrax, its showing how truly inconsistent the umpiring has been calling balls and strikes. Not only from one umpire to another, but even inning by inning.

21. Bruce - Oct 9, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Posada has been a classic hard-nosed catcher for years. He defines the position like Carlton Fisk did. He’s earned his grouchy attitude.

22. Antonio Fernandez - Oct 11, 2009 at 11:17 AM

From where I sit I can see that management and most of the players are not agreeing in whats going on, everyone wants to play rightfully so after all thats why they took up this profession, but none of them have the rights to tell the manager when they will play thats up to the boss
    Loose them all Yankees you deserve it

Three legends off to Cooperstown