Oct 10, 2009, 12:55 PM EST
Saturday’s Game 3 between the Phillies and Rockies was postponed due to cold weather and snow, leaving the remaining three games in the NLDS series to be played Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.
The extra day off would seem to be of clear benefit of the Phillies. They will now bring back Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels on regular rest in Games 4 and 5 of the series. The Rockies can and should do the same, bypassing Jason Marquis in order to throw Ubaldo Jimenez on Monday and Aaron Cook on Tuesday.
It’s Pedro Martinez who figures to end up disappointed. The Phillies named him their Game 3 starter after using both Joe Blanton and J.A. Happ in relief on Thursday. Now that there’s going to be two days off, rather than one, headed into Game 3, both pitchers are again in position to start and one of the two figures to trump Martinez. Despite suffering a bruised leg Thursday, Happ would seem to be the better option against the lefty heavy Colorado lineup.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)