Oct 10, 2009, 12:55 PM EDT
Saturday’s Game 3 between the Phillies and Rockies was postponed due to cold weather and snow, leaving the remaining three games in the NLDS series to be played Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.
The extra day off would seem to be of clear benefit of the Phillies. They will now bring back Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels on regular rest in Games 4 and 5 of the series. The Rockies can and should do the same, bypassing Jason Marquis in order to throw Ubaldo Jimenez on Monday and Aaron Cook on Tuesday.
It’s Pedro Martinez who figures to end up disappointed. The Phillies named him their Game 3 starter after using both Joe Blanton and J.A. Happ in relief on Thursday. Now that there’s going to be two days off, rather than one, headed into Game 3, both pitchers are again in position to start and one of the two figures to trump Martinez. Despite suffering a bruised leg Thursday, Happ would seem to be the better option against the lefty heavy Colorado lineup.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 8
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 214
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (214)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)