Oct 10, 2009, 12:55 PM EDT
Saturday’s Game 3 between the Phillies and Rockies was postponed due to cold weather and snow, leaving the remaining three games in the NLDS series to be played Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.
The extra day off would seem to be of clear benefit of the Phillies. They will now bring back Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels on regular rest in Games 4 and 5 of the series. The Rockies can and should do the same, bypassing Jason Marquis in order to throw Ubaldo Jimenez on Monday and Aaron Cook on Tuesday.
It’s Pedro Martinez who figures to end up disappointed. The Phillies named him their Game 3 starter after using both Joe Blanton and J.A. Happ in relief on Thursday. Now that there’s going to be two days off, rather than one, headed into Game 3, both pitchers are again in position to start and one of the two figures to trump Martinez. Despite suffering a bruised leg Thursday, Happ would seem to be the better option against the lefty heavy Colorado lineup.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 14
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 65
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)