Oct 10, 2009, 1:56 PM EDT
“They make mistakes, too. They made a mistake there and we just got to live with it.”
- Joe Mauer plays it classy,
even though umpire Phil Cuzzi’s blown call during Friday’s Game 2
possibly cost the Twins a run in an eventual 4-3 loss to the Yankees.
The team’s season is now on life support as they head back to Minnesota
for Game 3.
“You feel so good. You grind out an at-bat against
one of the best closers in the game, and you get a favorable count and
you get a pitch in your wheelhouse, and obviously you don’t want to
miss it. And the fun part is I was just thinking base hit, hit the ball
- With a ninth-inning, game-tying home run off Joe Nathan in Game 2, Alex Rodriguez is quickly shaking that pesky “unclutch” tag that has followed him since joining the Yankees. He is 4-for-8 with five RBI over the first two games of the ALDS.
“I just wanted
him to show me some respect. He just straight-faced me and walked away.
He’d be pissed if I did that to him. Just listen to what I have to say.
Don’t just take your mask off, and walk away. I know I can’t say
anything. I guess they have more power than anybody. It’s a frustrating
deal because … I’m not even a person that you’ll respect. I don’t know
what I need to do.”
- More trouble with the men in blue, as Josh Beckett was peeved with home plate umpire C.B. Bucknor
after he failed to acknowledge concerns that Mike Napoli turned into a
curveball in the seventh inning of Friday’s Game 2. The hit-by-pitch
opened the door for two more runs to score.
“No, our strategy is that we need to win. No, we need to win a game.”
- Terry Francona, upon being asked if his strategy changes now that the Red Sox are on the brink of elimination.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 3
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 136
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (146)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)