Oct 10, 2009, 1:56 PM EDT
“They make mistakes, too. They made a mistake there and we just got to live with it.”
- Joe Mauer plays it classy,
even though umpire Phil Cuzzi’s blown call during Friday’s Game 2
possibly cost the Twins a run in an eventual 4-3 loss to the Yankees.
The team’s season is now on life support as they head back to Minnesota
for Game 3.
“You feel so good. You grind out an at-bat against
one of the best closers in the game, and you get a favorable count and
you get a pitch in your wheelhouse, and obviously you don’t want to
miss it. And the fun part is I was just thinking base hit, hit the ball
- With a ninth-inning, game-tying home run off Joe Nathan in Game 2, Alex Rodriguez is quickly shaking that pesky “unclutch” tag that has followed him since joining the Yankees. He is 4-for-8 with five RBI over the first two games of the ALDS.
“I just wanted
him to show me some respect. He just straight-faced me and walked away.
He’d be pissed if I did that to him. Just listen to what I have to say.
Don’t just take your mask off, and walk away. I know I can’t say
anything. I guess they have more power than anybody. It’s a frustrating
deal because … I’m not even a person that you’ll respect. I don’t know
what I need to do.”
- More trouble with the men in blue, as Josh Beckett was peeved with home plate umpire C.B. Bucknor
after he failed to acknowledge concerns that Mike Napoli turned into a
curveball in the seventh inning of Friday’s Game 2. The hit-by-pitch
opened the door for two more runs to score.
“No, our strategy is that we need to win. No, we need to win a game.”
- Terry Francona, upon being asked if his strategy changes now that the Red Sox are on the brink of elimination.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)