Oct 10, 2009, 1:56 PM EDT
“They make mistakes, too. They made a mistake there and we just got to live with it.”
– Joe Mauer plays it classy,
even though umpire Phil Cuzzi’s blown call during Friday’s Game 2
possibly cost the Twins a run in an eventual 4-3 loss to the Yankees.
The team’s season is now on life support as they head back to Minnesota
for Game 3.
“You feel so good. You grind out an at-bat against
one of the best closers in the game, and you get a favorable count and
you get a pitch in your wheelhouse, and obviously you don’t want to
miss it. And the fun part is I was just thinking base hit, hit the ball
– With a ninth-inning, game-tying home run off Joe Nathan in Game 2, Alex Rodriguez is quickly shaking that pesky “unclutch” tag that has followed him since joining the Yankees. He is 4-for-8 with five RBI over the first two games of the ALDS.
“I just wanted
him to show me some respect. He just straight-faced me and walked away.
He’d be pissed if I did that to him. Just listen to what I have to say.
Don’t just take your mask off, and walk away. I know I can’t say
anything. I guess they have more power than anybody. It’s a frustrating
deal because … I’m not even a person that you’ll respect. I don’t know
what I need to do.”
– More trouble with the men in blue, as Josh Beckett was peeved with home plate umpire C.B. Bucknor
after he failed to acknowledge concerns that Mike Napoli turned into a
curveball in the seventh inning of Friday’s Game 2. The hit-by-pitch
opened the door for two more runs to score.
“No, our strategy is that we need to win. No, we need to win a game.”
– Terry Francona, upon being asked if his strategy changes now that the Red Sox are on the brink of elimination.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 39
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 25
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 77
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)