Oct 11, 2009, 3:06 PM EDT
I don’t mean to pick on Mark Newman of MLB.com, but he probably could have used another set of eyes before pushing this one through:
A TV reporter asked Joe Torre if that was the most he had ever been soaked by his own players in such a joyous moment.
“No, the Yankees in ’96,” the Dodgers’ manager said matter-of-factly.
“I don’t even remember, that’s so long ago, but that was the first one
there for such a long time.”
I’d like to say that this sounds more appropriate in context, but it doesn’t.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 88
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 15
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 35
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 40
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (188)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)