Oct 11, 2009, 3:06 PM EDT
I don’t mean to pick on Mark Newman of MLB.com, but he probably could have used another set of eyes before pushing this one through:
A TV reporter asked Joe Torre if that was the most he had ever been soaked by his own players in such a joyous moment.
“No, the Yankees in ’96,” the Dodgers’ manager said matter-of-factly.
“I don’t even remember, that’s so long ago, but that was the first one
there for such a long time.”
I’d like to say that this sounds more appropriate in context, but it doesn’t.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 24
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 45
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 25
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)