Oct 11, 2009, 3:06 PM EST
I don’t mean to pick on Mark Newman of MLB.com, but he probably could have used another set of eyes before pushing this one through:
A TV reporter asked Joe Torre if that was the most he had ever been soaked by his own players in such a joyous moment.
“No, the Yankees in ’96,” the Dodgers’ manager said matter-of-factly.
“I don’t even remember, that’s so long ago, but that was the first one
there for such a long time.”
I’d like to say that this sounds more appropriate in context, but it doesn’t.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)