An awkward moment with Joe Torre

Oct 11, 2009, 3:06 PM EDT

I don’t mean to pick on Mark Newman of MLB.com, but he probably could have used another set of eyes before pushing this one through:

A TV reporter asked Joe Torre if that was the most he had ever been soaked by his own players in such a joyous moment.

“No, the Yankees in ’96,” the Dodgers’ manager said matter-of-factly.
“I don’t even remember, that’s so long ago, but that was the first one
there for such a long time.”

I’d like to say that this sounds more appropriate in context, but it doesn’t.

1. JL - Oct 11, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Okay, I don’t really get it. Perhaps it was worded a bit strangely, but I don’t really see what was so inappropriate about it. Is it inappropriate because the word soaked was used? As in soaked, like with liquid, ha ha, like with penises, ha ha ha? Someone want to clue me in here?

2. Orlando - Oct 11, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Yeah, it’s gotta be penises.

3. Grig - Oct 11, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Agreeing with the previous comments. I’m not seeing what’s so inappropriate.

4. Spice - Oct 11, 2009 at 7:03 PM

The author is looking for something to say, couldn’t find anything so He grabbed on to this nothingness.
    Sad really

5. JoeRunner - Oct 11, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Joe’s reaction was honest and factual. That is never inappropriate to this reader

6. hop - Oct 12, 2009 at 12:35 AM

Yanks over the dodgers in 5, thats reailty

7. Mike - Oct 12, 2009 at 4:58 AM

What they meant was that he just won with the Dodgers, he should have said the ‘politically correct’ thing and said something like “no this is great! blah blah blah!”
    The fact that he brought his old team up so quick and ‘matter-of-factly’, may sting a little with some players.
    It took me a few minutes to catch on though….

8. Mystic7 - Oct 12, 2009 at 6:53 AM

What Mike said has to be the only explanation. Like everyone else I fail to see the inappropriateness of the comment as far as embarrassing sexual double entendre is concerned.

9. Tony Quinnn - Oct 12, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Come on guys – It’s simply a case of a long NY Yankees tradition. Started by Casey, on to Yogi, now on to Joe – though a bit late.

10. Drew West - Oct 12, 2009 at 6:51 PM

I seriously don’t see what’s wrong with this. If its supposed to be sexual, I have to stretch real far to see that. If its because he brought up the Yanks, I see that as him telling his team “I’ve done it, it can be done, its a real thing.” Also, he brought up the fact he never made it to the series as a player, so that reinforces my belief that he might be telling his players “it can be done.”

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4182)