Oct 12, 2009, 12:29 PM EDT
* Tim Wakefield had been hoping to join the Red Sox’s playoff roster if they advanced past the ALDS, but now that Boston’s season is over the 43-year-old knuckleballer will undergo surgery this week to repair a herniated disk in his back.
Wakefield struggled down the stretch after returning from the injury, but went 11-3 with a 4.31 ERA in the first half while making the All-Star team and hopes to pitch in 2010.
* After struggling in Game 2 before leaving the team to be present for the birth of his first child, Cole Hamels is ready to make the Game 5 start if the Phillies-Rockies series goes that far.
* Scouting director Dana Brown has left the Nationals to become a special assistant to new Blue Jays general manager Alexander Anthopoulos, so Washington is now interviewing longtime Atlanta scouting director Roy Clark as his replacement.
* Phillies reliever Scott Eyre figures to be unavailable for the rest of the NLDS after leaving Game 3 with a sprained ankle.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)