Oct 12, 2009, 12:29 PM EDT
* Tim Wakefield had been hoping to join the Red Sox’s playoff roster if they advanced past the ALDS, but now that Boston’s season is over the 43-year-old knuckleballer will undergo surgery this week to repair a herniated disk in his back.
Wakefield struggled down the stretch after returning from the injury, but went 11-3 with a 4.31 ERA in the first half while making the All-Star team and hopes to pitch in 2010.
* After struggling in Game 2 before leaving the team to be present for the birth of his first child, Cole Hamels is ready to make the Game 5 start if the Phillies-Rockies series goes that far.
* Scouting director Dana Brown has left the Nationals to become a special assistant to new Blue Jays general manager Alexander Anthopoulos, so Washington is now interviewing longtime Atlanta scouting director Roy Clark as his replacement.
* Phillies reliever Scott Eyre figures to be unavailable for the rest of the NLDS after leaving Game 3 with a sprained ankle.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)