Report: Braves' Hudson likely to decline $12 million option

Oct 13, 2009, 3:34 PM EDT

It sure blows Dave O’Brien’s theory out of the water, doesn’t it?
Then again, we already knew that O’Brien hadn’t thought this through very well.
According to FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal, Hudson is set to decline his half of the $12 million mutual option the Braves hold on his contract and become a free agent.
The news comes in spite of the fact that Hudson recently built a house in Auburn and would surely prefer to stay with the Braves.
A deal may yet be struck, but Hudson has no reason to settle for a one-year pact when teams from both leagues should be very interested in his services. I rate Hudson as the winter’s No. 6 free agent and No. 2 pitcher behind John Lackey. Because he recovered his stuff so quickly after Tommy John surgery, he could be looking at something like $50 million for four years this winter.

1. Cooper - Oct 14, 2009 at 12:31 AM

Before you start ripping people for reporting what they hear, maybe you should consider what’s being said:
    “I would be glad if they picked up the option. But it’s one of those things if they want to discuss not picking it up and maybe going a few years out at some kind of whatever hometown discount, that’s something I’d obviously be willing to discuss with them.”
    I think I, too, would be pretty comfortable predicting Hudson might take less to stay in Atlanta. Especially when the only report to the contrary comes from Rosenthal’s anonymous sources. Will it happen? Who knows. But using this as an attack on a good beat writer certainly makes you come off like a d.ick.

2. Matthew Pouliot - Oct 14, 2009 at 3:09 AM

O’Brien came out and said he didn’t think any team would offer Hudson $10 million per season.
    No one, least of all me, is dismissing the idea that Hudson will take less cash to stay in Atlanta. But O’Brien has badly misread the market.
    I’d hardly call this an attack, though. The next entry down is an attack.
    In the future, please don’t try to circumvent the nanny. Just call me a jerk and be done with it.

3. CTS - Oct 14, 2009 at 6:03 AM

ITS ABOUT THE MONEY. CAN YOU BLAME HUDSON? WHY OFFER A “HOMETOWN” DISCOUNT? DO THE BRAVES TREAT ANY PITCHERS WITH SUCH REGARD AS THEY DECLINE IN ABILITY? SMOLTZ LEFT BEFORE THEY COULD AND GLAVINE FELT THE FULL FORCE OF THE KINDER, GENTLER BRAVES ORG. SHALL WE GO ON WITH PITCHERS FROM JUST THE LAST FEW YEARS? IF HUDSON CAN GO TO SOME OTHER TOWN AND MAKE $10 MIL A YEAR – DO IT! HIS HOME IN AUBURN WILL BE THAT MUCH NICER WHEN HE RETIRES.

4. macywolfe - Oct 14, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Good, now the Red Sox can over-pay for another washed-up Braves pitcher.

5. Will - Oct 14, 2009 at 10:22 AM

As a Red Sox fan, I feel compelled to reply. I assume that you are referring to Steve Avery and John Burkett. Note that neither of these signings happened during the John Henry ownership, and I think the management group of the Red Sox is a bit better these days. I just wanted to make that point. Oh, and one more thing. Enjoy Derek Lowe for $45 million over the next three years.

6. skp - Oct 14, 2009 at 10:46 AM

I think he was referring to Smoltz which would be under Henry. You are right about Derek Lowe. Braves were smart with Smoltz and Glavine, but got taken on Lowe and Texeira. Sox got taken on your Japanese pitcher.

7. Will - Oct 14, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Whoops, good call on Smoltz (although is a one-year flyer really that big of a mistake?)

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5108)