Oct 13, 2009, 3:34 PM EDT
It sure blows Dave O’Brien’s theory out of the water, doesn’t it?
Then again, we already knew that O’Brien hadn’t thought this through very well.
According to FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal, Hudson is set to decline his half of the $12 million mutual option the Braves hold on his contract and become a free agent.
The news comes in spite of the fact that Hudson recently built a house in Auburn and would surely prefer to stay with the Braves.
A deal may yet be struck, but Hudson has no reason to settle for a one-year pact when teams from both leagues should be very interested in his services. I rate Hudson as the winter’s No. 6 free agent and No. 2 pitcher behind John Lackey. Because he recovered his stuff so quickly after Tommy John surgery, he could be looking at something like $50 million for four years this winter.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 26
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 27
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)