Oct 13, 2009, 3:34 PM EDT
It sure blows Dave O’Brien’s theory out of the water, doesn’t it?
Then again, we already knew that O’Brien hadn’t thought this through very well.
According to FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal, Hudson is set to decline his half of the $12 million mutual option the Braves hold on his contract and become a free agent.
The news comes in spite of the fact that Hudson recently built a house in Auburn and would surely prefer to stay with the Braves.
A deal may yet be struck, but Hudson has no reason to settle for a one-year pact when teams from both leagues should be very interested in his services. I rate Hudson as the winter’s No. 6 free agent and No. 2 pitcher behind John Lackey. Because he recovered his stuff so quickly after Tommy John surgery, he could be looking at something like $50 million for four years this winter.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 5
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)