Oct 14, 2009, 3:13 PM EDT
Earlier this week I speculated that the Angels would use four starting pitchers for the ALCS despite the drawn-out schedule making a three-man rotation possible, and after playing coy for a couple days manager Mike Scioscia announced this afternoon that he’ll indeed use John Lackey, Joe Saunders, Jered Weaver, and Scott Kazmir against the Yankees.
Because the Angels’ rotation depth is one of their biggest strengths shortening up the rotation wouldn’t have benefited them nearly as much as it does the Yankees, who’ll give every ALCS start to the trio of CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, and Andy Pettitte while avoiding starts from Chad Gaudin or perhaps Joba Chamberlain. In particular Sabathia will take the mound three times if the series lasts seven games, while fellow Game 1 starter John Lackey will pitch just twice.
Given how things are lined up for the Angels, if the series goes to seven games Sabathia would likely face Weaver, whose first start of the series will come in Game 3 because Scioscia wants him to pitch at home, where he has a 2.90 ERA. Barring any further changes, here are the ALCS game-by-game matchups:
Game 1: CC Sabathia vs. John Lackey
Game 2: A.J. Burnett vs. Joe Saunders
Game 3: Andy Pettite vs. Jered Weaver
Game 4: CC Sabathia vs. Scott Kazmir
Game 5: A.J. Burnett vs. John Lackey
Game 6: Andy Pettite vs. Joe Saunders
Game 7: CC Sabathia vs. Jered Weaver
Right now the Yankees are around 1.75-to-1 favorites for the whole series.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights