Oct 14, 2009, 3:13 PM EST
Earlier this week I speculated that the Angels would use four starting pitchers for the ALCS despite the drawn-out schedule making a three-man rotation possible, and after playing coy for a couple days manager Mike Scioscia announced this afternoon that he’ll indeed use John Lackey, Joe Saunders, Jered Weaver, and Scott Kazmir against the Yankees.
Because the Angels’ rotation depth is one of their biggest strengths shortening up the rotation wouldn’t have benefited them nearly as much as it does the Yankees, who’ll give every ALCS start to the trio of CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, and Andy Pettitte while avoiding starts from Chad Gaudin or perhaps Joba Chamberlain. In particular Sabathia will take the mound three times if the series lasts seven games, while fellow Game 1 starter John Lackey will pitch just twice.
Given how things are lined up for the Angels, if the series goes to seven games Sabathia would likely face Weaver, whose first start of the series will come in Game 3 because Scioscia wants him to pitch at home, where he has a 2.90 ERA. Barring any further changes, here are the ALCS game-by-game matchups:
Game 1: CC Sabathia vs. John Lackey
Game 2: A.J. Burnett vs. Joe Saunders
Game 3: Andy Pettite vs. Jered Weaver
Game 4: CC Sabathia vs. Scott Kazmir
Game 5: A.J. Burnett vs. John Lackey
Game 6: Andy Pettite vs. Joe Saunders
Game 7: CC Sabathia vs. Jered Weaver
Right now the Yankees are around 1.75-to-1 favorites for the whole series.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 8
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (94)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (83)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)