Oct 14, 2009, 11:55 AM EDT
* As expected, the Giants officially announced two-year contract extensions yesterday for general manager Brian Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy. Both deals include third-year team options for 2012.
San Francisco turned things around this year, hanging in contention down the stretch after going 72-90 last season, but Bochy is just 231-255 (.475) in three years at the helm and Sabean is facing a hugely important offseason as the team looks to solidify itself post-Barry Bonds.
* Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Aaron Boone will likely retire after coming back from open-heart surgery to play 10 games this season. Boone is a career .263/.326/.425 hitter with 126 homers and 107 steals in 1,152 games spread over a dozen seasons, making the All-Star team and delivering this unforgettable moment in 2003.
* Mike MacDougal underwent arthroscopic hip surgery yesterday and will be cleared to begin a throwing program in 6-8 weeks, making it likely that he’ll be fully healthy for spring training. MacDougal got his career back on track this season, saving 20 games with a 3.60 ERA for the Nationals after four forgettable years in Chicago, but his 31/31 K/BB ratio in 50 innings doesn’t paint a very rosy long-term outlook.
* Bobby Jenks doesn’t like it when people focus on his weight, but he’s apparently not bothered enough to actually lose a few pounds.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)