Oct 14, 2009, 11:55 AM EST
* As expected, the Giants officially announced two-year contract extensions yesterday for general manager Brian Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy. Both deals include third-year team options for 2012.
San Francisco turned things around this year, hanging in contention down the stretch after going 72-90 last season, but Bochy is just 231-255 (.475) in three years at the helm and Sabean is facing a hugely important offseason as the team looks to solidify itself post-Barry Bonds.
* Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Aaron Boone will likely retire after coming back from open-heart surgery to play 10 games this season. Boone is a career .263/.326/.425 hitter with 126 homers and 107 steals in 1,152 games spread over a dozen seasons, making the All-Star team and delivering this unforgettable moment in 2003.
* Mike MacDougal underwent arthroscopic hip surgery yesterday and will be cleared to begin a throwing program in 6-8 weeks, making it likely that he’ll be fully healthy for spring training. MacDougal got his career back on track this season, saving 20 games with a 3.60 ERA for the Nationals after four forgettable years in Chicago, but his 31/31 K/BB ratio in 50 innings doesn’t paint a very rosy long-term outlook.
* Bobby Jenks doesn’t like it when people focus on his weight, but he’s apparently not bothered enough to actually lose a few pounds.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 64
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 30
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)