Oct 14, 2009, 11:55 AM EST
* As expected, the Giants officially announced two-year contract extensions yesterday for general manager Brian Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy. Both deals include third-year team options for 2012.
San Francisco turned things around this year, hanging in contention down the stretch after going 72-90 last season, but Bochy is just 231-255 (.475) in three years at the helm and Sabean is facing a hugely important offseason as the team looks to solidify itself post-Barry Bonds.
* Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Aaron Boone will likely retire after coming back from open-heart surgery to play 10 games this season. Boone is a career .263/.326/.425 hitter with 126 homers and 107 steals in 1,152 games spread over a dozen seasons, making the All-Star team and delivering this unforgettable moment in 2003.
* Mike MacDougal underwent arthroscopic hip surgery yesterday and will be cleared to begin a throwing program in 6-8 weeks, making it likely that he’ll be fully healthy for spring training. MacDougal got his career back on track this season, saving 20 games with a 3.60 ERA for the Nationals after four forgettable years in Chicago, but his 31/31 K/BB ratio in 50 innings doesn’t paint a very rosy long-term outlook.
* Bobby Jenks doesn’t like it when people focus on his weight, but he’s apparently not bothered enough to actually lose a few pounds.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 14
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 91
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)