Oct 14, 2009, 11:55 AM EDT
* As expected, the Giants officially announced two-year contract extensions yesterday for general manager Brian Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy. Both deals include third-year team options for 2012.
San Francisco turned things around this year, hanging in contention down the stretch after going 72-90 last season, but Bochy is just 231-255 (.475) in three years at the helm and Sabean is facing a hugely important offseason as the team looks to solidify itself post-Barry Bonds.
* Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Aaron Boone will likely retire after coming back from open-heart surgery to play 10 games this season. Boone is a career .263/.326/.425 hitter with 126 homers and 107 steals in 1,152 games spread over a dozen seasons, making the All-Star team and delivering this unforgettable moment in 2003.
* Mike MacDougal underwent arthroscopic hip surgery yesterday and will be cleared to begin a throwing program in 6-8 weeks, making it likely that he’ll be fully healthy for spring training. MacDougal got his career back on track this season, saving 20 games with a 3.60 ERA for the Nationals after four forgettable years in Chicago, but his 31/31 K/BB ratio in 50 innings doesn’t paint a very rosy long-term outlook.
* Bobby Jenks doesn’t like it when people focus on his weight, but he’s apparently not bothered enough to actually lose a few pounds.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 5
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 53
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 27
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)