Oct 14, 2009, 11:55 AM EDT
* As expected, the Giants officially announced two-year contract extensions yesterday for general manager Brian Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy. Both deals include third-year team options for 2012.
San Francisco turned things around this year, hanging in contention down the stretch after going 72-90 last season, but Bochy is just 231-255 (.475) in three years at the helm and Sabean is facing a hugely important offseason as the team looks to solidify itself post-Barry Bonds.
* Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Aaron Boone will likely retire after coming back from open-heart surgery to play 10 games this season. Boone is a career .263/.326/.425 hitter with 126 homers and 107 steals in 1,152 games spread over a dozen seasons, making the All-Star team and delivering this unforgettable moment in 2003.
* Mike MacDougal underwent arthroscopic hip surgery yesterday and will be cleared to begin a throwing program in 6-8 weeks, making it likely that he’ll be fully healthy for spring training. MacDougal got his career back on track this season, saving 20 games with a 3.60 ERA for the Nationals after four forgettable years in Chicago, but his 31/31 K/BB ratio in 50 innings doesn’t paint a very rosy long-term outlook.
* Bobby Jenks doesn’t like it when people focus on his weight, but he’s apparently not bothered enough to actually lose a few pounds.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)