Oct 14, 2009, 10:57 AM EDT
Fresh off of snagging some top-notch front office talent, the Nats are setting their sights on their next manager. From the excellent Federal Baseball Nats blog:
Former DC GM Jim Bowden sent out a tweet yesterday listing the candidates for the Nationals’ job opening on the bench which read simply, “Nats MGR search includes: Mattingly,Duncan,Yost,Riggleman & BValen,” and now this afternoon, Bowden’s back with an updated list which includes a few new names:
“Up-Dated Nationals Managerial Candidates: Mattingly, Valentine, Mills, Melvin, Cora, Yost, Bowa.”
Some interesting names there to be sure. Mattingly is a guy a lot of people would like to see get a shot to manage. Valentine is fun, of course. Joey Cora may be fun too, at least if his years under Ozzie Guillen have rubbed off (I love Ozzie Guillen, at least as long as he’s not managing my team). Melvin and Bowa seem like retreads I wouldn’t want on a young team. Yost is also a retread, but maybe a good one given that he has experience shepherding a team with prospects to the next level. I know nothing about Mills aside from the fact that he’s the Red Sox’ bench coach. Perhaps Boston fans can enlighten us as to his qualifications in the comments.
Of course, I do have one question: If this really came from a Jim Bowden tweet, how in the hell is he privy to this kind of information? He was disgraced and subsequently fired last spring, and my sense is that the Nats went on a much-needed de-Bowedenification campaign in the front office after he was shown the door. Does Bowden have a mole deep within Nats’ HQ, or is he just speculating like the rest of us?
If the later, I have to tell you Jim: I’ve been let go by employers before. The quickest way to recover is to quit thinking about what they’re doing now that you’re gone and look towards the future.
(link via BTF)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)