Oct 14, 2009, 10:57 AM EDT
Fresh off of snagging some top-notch front office talent, the Nats are setting their sights on their next manager. From the excellent Federal Baseball Nats blog:
Former DC GM Jim Bowden sent out a tweet yesterday listing the candidates for the Nationals’ job opening on the bench which read simply, “Nats MGR search includes: Mattingly,Duncan,Yost,Riggleman & BValen,” and now this afternoon, Bowden’s back with an updated list which includes a few new names:
“Up-Dated Nationals Managerial Candidates: Mattingly, Valentine, Mills, Melvin, Cora, Yost, Bowa.”
Some interesting names there to be sure. Mattingly is a guy a lot of people would like to see get a shot to manage. Valentine is fun, of course. Joey Cora may be fun too, at least if his years under Ozzie Guillen have rubbed off (I love Ozzie Guillen, at least as long as he’s not managing my team). Melvin and Bowa seem like retreads I wouldn’t want on a young team. Yost is also a retread, but maybe a good one given that he has experience shepherding a team with prospects to the next level. I know nothing about Mills aside from the fact that he’s the Red Sox’ bench coach. Perhaps Boston fans can enlighten us as to his qualifications in the comments.
Of course, I do have one question: If this really came from a Jim Bowden tweet, how in the hell is he privy to this kind of information? He was disgraced and subsequently fired last spring, and my sense is that the Nats went on a much-needed de-Bowedenification campaign in the front office after he was shown the door. Does Bowden have a mole deep within Nats’ HQ, or is he just speculating like the rest of us?
If the later, I have to tell you Jim: I’ve been let go by employers before. The quickest way to recover is to quit thinking about what they’re doing now that you’re gone and look towards the future.
(link via BTF)
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 19
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 109
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 155
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)