Oct 14, 2009, 9:25 AM EST
In a move that won’t turn a lot of heads but which will nonetheless have huge implications, Braves’ longtime scouting director Roy Clark told the team yesterday that he’s leaving the organization
to become an assistant general manager with the Nationals.
For those unfamiliar with Clark, he’s the guy who has identified just about every prospect that has come through the Braves’ system over the past 11 years, and arguably no team in baseball has had more talent come through its system than the Braves during that time. He’s been with the club for over 20 years total.
This is the second time the Nationals have taken a run at Clark, having offered him a job back in 2006. This time, however, they have offered him much more power than before, and he’ll presumably have near total power over the draft and player development.
The Nationals are viewed as something of a laughingstock now. So too were the Braves when Clark joined the team in the late 80s. An argument can be made that Clark had more to do with changing all of that than any one man in the organization. An argument can also be made that no front office move will do more to change a team’s fortunes this offseason than this move will for the Nats.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (93)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)