Oct 14, 2009, 9:25 AM EST
In a move that won’t turn a lot of heads but which will nonetheless have huge implications, Braves’ longtime scouting director Roy Clark told the team yesterday that he’s leaving the organization
to become an assistant general manager with the Nationals.
For those unfamiliar with Clark, he’s the guy who has identified just about every prospect that has come through the Braves’ system over the past 11 years, and arguably no team in baseball has had more talent come through its system than the Braves during that time. He’s been with the club for over 20 years total.
This is the second time the Nationals have taken a run at Clark, having offered him a job back in 2006. This time, however, they have offered him much more power than before, and he’ll presumably have near total power over the draft and player development.
The Nationals are viewed as something of a laughingstock now. So too were the Braves when Clark joined the team in the late 80s. An argument can be made that Clark had more to do with changing all of that than any one man in the organization. An argument can also be made that no front office move will do more to change a team’s fortunes this offseason than this move will for the Nats.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (125)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)