Oct 14, 2009, 9:25 AM EDT
In a move that won’t turn a lot of heads but which will nonetheless have huge implications, Braves’ longtime scouting director Roy Clark told the team yesterday that he’s leaving the organization
to become an assistant general manager with the Nationals.
For those unfamiliar with Clark, he’s the guy who has identified just about every prospect that has come through the Braves’ system over the past 11 years, and arguably no team in baseball has had more talent come through its system than the Braves during that time. He’s been with the club for over 20 years total.
This is the second time the Nationals have taken a run at Clark, having offered him a job back in 2006. This time, however, they have offered him much more power than before, and he’ll presumably have near total power over the draft and player development.
The Nationals are viewed as something of a laughingstock now. So too were the Braves when Clark joined the team in the late 80s. An argument can be made that Clark had more to do with changing all of that than any one man in the organization. An argument can also be made that no front office move will do more to change a team’s fortunes this offseason than this move will for the Nats.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 35
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 23
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)