Oct 15, 2009, 12:05 PM EDT
According to the Associated Press, Albert Pujols said yesterday during an interview with a Dominican radio station that he’s “not desperate to sign a contract extension.”
Pujols confirmed that general manager John Mozeliak has approached him about a new deal, but added: “We have not yet sat down to talk about contracts. I still have a one-year contract in 2010 with a club option for 2011. The rest I leave in God’s hands.”
Cardinals chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. indicated last week that Pujols had expressed a desire to work out a new contract extension this offseason, but if Wednesday’s statements are accurate the team is clearly more interested than the soon-to-be three-time MVP when it comes to actually getting something done.
Pujols will make $16 million next season with a $16 million option or $5 million buyout for 2011 as part of the seven-year, $100 million deal he signed in 2003, so he’s right that there’s no rush to work out a new pact.
Obviously the Cardinals would like to avoid any chance of Pujols even sniffing free agency, but there’s also plenty of risk in handing out an extension with two years remaining on the original deal, no matter how amazing the player. So far at least there’s no real reason for Cardinals fans to worry. At least not too much.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 12
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 21
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)