Oct 15, 2009, 12:05 PM EDT
According to the Associated Press, Albert Pujols said yesterday during an interview with a Dominican radio station that he’s “not desperate to sign a contract extension.”
Pujols confirmed that general manager John Mozeliak has approached him about a new deal, but added: “We have not yet sat down to talk about contracts. I still have a one-year contract in 2010 with a club option for 2011. The rest I leave in God’s hands.”
Cardinals chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. indicated last week that Pujols had expressed a desire to work out a new contract extension this offseason, but if Wednesday’s statements are accurate the team is clearly more interested than the soon-to-be three-time MVP when it comes to actually getting something done.
Pujols will make $16 million next season with a $16 million option or $5 million buyout for 2011 as part of the seven-year, $100 million deal he signed in 2003, so he’s right that there’s no rush to work out a new pact.
Obviously the Cardinals would like to avoid any chance of Pujols even sniffing free agency, but there’s also plenty of risk in handing out an extension with two years remaining on the original deal, no matter how amazing the player. So far at least there’s no real reason for Cardinals fans to worry. At least not too much.
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 8
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 15
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 12
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)