Oct 15, 2009, 11:00 PM EDT
Jack Curry of the New York Times, working from the Angels clubhouse on Thursday, reported via Twitter (if you’re interested, I’m Tweeting, too) that Torii Hunter is not only the “go-to” guy, he’s the “go-get” guy.
How much of a quote machine is Torii Hunter? When 100 reporters entered Angels’ clubhouse, Mike Napoli told Howie Kendrick, “Go get Torii.”
And after reading some quotes from the Angels’ star center fielder, one can see why. Here’s a sampling:
* “He’s (Sabathia) one of my buddies in the game. He’s throwing up and in, 97, 98 mph, under my chin, shaving my goatee, and then we go to dinner and talk about it and laugh.”
* Hunter praised the Yankees, saying they’re tough because of what he said was their “$10 billion payroll.”
And some more from the L.A. Times:
* “They’ve got Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira, Godzilla [Hideki Matsui], CC Sabathia, one of the best left-handers in the game, Mariano Rivera, the greatest closer of all time . . . you want me to keep going?
“There’s a lot of guys over there, so if you were a betting man, yeah, you might go with the Yankees. But at the same time, you might lose your money.”
* “We’re gladiators, we’re ready to play — nobody here is shaking in their boots,” Hunter said. “If we play the game the way we’ve been playing for the last six or seven games, I feel we have a good chance against any pitcher, any team.”
OK so he’s not Charles Barkley, but he’s not Crash Davis spouting a bunch of clichés either. You’ve got to love a guy willing to speak his mind, and Hunter, a normally fun-loving guy anyway, seems to be having the time of his life in the playoffs. Enjoy the ride Torii. And keep entertaining us.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 69
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 80
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 62
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)