Oct 15, 2009, 11:00 PM EST
Jack Curry of the New York Times, working from the Angels clubhouse on Thursday, reported via Twitter (if you’re interested, I’m Tweeting, too) that Torii Hunter is not only the “go-to” guy, he’s the “go-get” guy.
How much of a quote machine is Torii Hunter? When 100 reporters entered Angels’ clubhouse, Mike Napoli told Howie Kendrick, “Go get Torii.”
And after reading some quotes from the Angels’ star center fielder, one can see why. Here’s a sampling:
* “He’s (Sabathia) one of my buddies in the game. He’s throwing up and in, 97, 98 mph, under my chin, shaving my goatee, and then we go to dinner and talk about it and laugh.”
* Hunter praised the Yankees, saying they’re tough because of what he said was their “$10 billion payroll.”
And some more from the L.A. Times:
* “They’ve got Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira, Godzilla [Hideki Matsui], CC Sabathia, one of the best left-handers in the game, Mariano Rivera, the greatest closer of all time . . . you want me to keep going?
“There’s a lot of guys over there, so if you were a betting man, yeah, you might go with the Yankees. But at the same time, you might lose your money.”
* “We’re gladiators, we’re ready to play — nobody here is shaking in their boots,” Hunter said. “If we play the game the way we’ve been playing for the last six or seven games, I feel we have a good chance against any pitcher, any team.”
OK so he’s not Charles Barkley, but he’s not Crash Davis spouting a bunch of clichés either. You’ve got to love a guy willing to speak his mind, and Hunter, a normally fun-loving guy anyway, seems to be having the time of his life in the playoffs. Enjoy the ride Torii. And keep entertaining us.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 4
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 9
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 161
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (161)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)