Oct 15, 2009, 2:45 PM EST
Following their first-round victories the Yankees, Dodgers, and Phillies have each made a slight roster change for the LCS.
New York has dropped bench bat Eric Hinske in favor of pinch-runner Freddy Guzman, which makes sense given that Hinske would rarely get the call to pinch-hit for anyone in the Yankees’ stacked lineup after batting just .242/.348/.432 this year. Guzman probably won’t see much action either, but could be used to run for Jorge Posada or Hideki Matsui if fellow speedster Brett Gardner is playing center field.
Now that Chan Ho Park is recovered from his hamstring injury the Phillies have added him to the bullpen in place of Brett Myers, who isn’t very happy about being removed from the roster. Myers has had success as a reliever in the past, but he hasn’t looked good since coming off the disabled list last month and Park was outstanding before his injury, posting a 2.52 ERA and 52/16 K/BB ratio in 50 relief innings.
Los Angeles bumped Jon Garland and Jeff Weaver for Hiroki Kuroda and Scott Elbert. Kuroda will start Game 3 after missing the first round with an injury and Elbert will serve as a third left-hander in the bullpen, which may come in handy against the Phillies’ lefty-heavy lineup. Weaver got the win in Game 1 of the NLDS and Garland had a 2.72 ERA in six starts down the stretch after being acquired from Arizona, but Chad Billingsley’s demotion to the bullpen made them both somewhat superfluous.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 27
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 30
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 94
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)