Oct 15, 2009, 2:45 PM EST
Following their first-round victories the Yankees, Dodgers, and Phillies have each made a slight roster change for the LCS.
New York has dropped bench bat Eric Hinske in favor of pinch-runner Freddy Guzman, which makes sense given that Hinske would rarely get the call to pinch-hit for anyone in the Yankees’ stacked lineup after batting just .242/.348/.432 this year. Guzman probably won’t see much action either, but could be used to run for Jorge Posada or Hideki Matsui if fellow speedster Brett Gardner is playing center field.
Now that Chan Ho Park is recovered from his hamstring injury the Phillies have added him to the bullpen in place of Brett Myers, who isn’t very happy about being removed from the roster. Myers has had success as a reliever in the past, but he hasn’t looked good since coming off the disabled list last month and Park was outstanding before his injury, posting a 2.52 ERA and 52/16 K/BB ratio in 50 relief innings.
Los Angeles bumped Jon Garland and Jeff Weaver for Hiroki Kuroda and Scott Elbert. Kuroda will start Game 3 after missing the first round with an injury and Elbert will serve as a third left-hander in the bullpen, which may come in handy against the Phillies’ lefty-heavy lineup. Weaver got the win in Game 1 of the NLDS and Garland had a 2.72 ERA in six starts down the stretch after being acquired from Arizona, but Chad Billingsley’s demotion to the bullpen made them both somewhat superfluous.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (227)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)