Oct 16, 2009, 9:55 AM EST
Angels offered abreu a 2-year extension for about $16 million. after MVP calibre year with LAA, he is looking for more.
This is ridiculous for a couple of reasons. For starters, I have a hard time featuring the Angels, who are, you know, getting ready to play the ALCS, conducting contract negotiations with Abreu. Arte Moreno and his crew are too smart to create distractions like that in the middle of the playoffs. If this offer actually ever happened, I’m betting that it happened a couple of weeks ago. It’s also possible that someone is pulling Heyman’s chain, be it the team or Abreu’s people.
I’d guess it’s Abreu’s people, because the substance of the post itself is silly, and seems calculated to kiss a little butt. Abreu had a nice season for the salary he was paid, and provided some much-needed on base ability for the Angels, but it was by no means an “MVP calibre year.” Indeed, by some measures it was among Abreu’s worst years (power; OPS+, defense).
$16 million over two years is probably defensible enough from the Angels’ perspective. High if they have any outfield prospects of any value who could come in and take his place, but nothing that’s going to break the bank. If Abreu really does manage to find someone to pay him substantially more than that, however, that someone will likely be overpaying.
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 0
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 13
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)