Oct 16, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT
Angels offered abreu a 2-year extension for about $16 million. after MVP calibre year with LAA, he is looking for more.
This is ridiculous for a couple of reasons. For starters, I have a hard time featuring the Angels, who are, you know, getting ready to play the ALCS, conducting contract negotiations with Abreu. Arte Moreno and his crew are too smart to create distractions like that in the middle of the playoffs. If this offer actually ever happened, I’m betting that it happened a couple of weeks ago. It’s also possible that someone is pulling Heyman’s chain, be it the team or Abreu’s people.
I’d guess it’s Abreu’s people, because the substance of the post itself is silly, and seems calculated to kiss a little butt. Abreu had a nice season for the salary he was paid, and provided some much-needed on base ability for the Angels, but it was by no means an “MVP calibre year.” Indeed, by some measures it was among Abreu’s worst years (power; OPS+, defense).
$16 million over two years is probably defensible enough from the Angels’ perspective. High if they have any outfield prospects of any value who could come in and take his place, but nothing that’s going to break the bank. If Abreu really does manage to find someone to pay him substantially more than that, however, that someone will likely be overpaying.
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 8
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 15
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (96)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)