Oct 16, 2009, 11:19 AM EDT
* No. 1 overall pick Stephen Strasburg will make his Arizona Fall League debut today after pitching five innings for the Nationals’ instructional league team. Barring any injuries, Strasburg seems like a near-lock to be in Washington to stay by the middle of next season.
* Darryl Strawberry will be a contestant on the upcoming season of Celebrity Apprentice, where he’ll compete against the likes of Sharon Osbourne, Sinbad, Cyndi Lauper, and Bret Michaels, plus several people who push the limits of the word “celebrity.” Looking over the respective rosters, there were probably more famous people on the 1986 Mets.
* Fired by the Brewers with a dozen games remaining in 2008, Ned Yost interviewed yesterday for the Astros’ managerial opening. He’s among 10 candidates for the Houston job.
* Meanwhile, the Indians conducted a phone interview earlier this week with former Nationals manager Manny Acta, who said afterward that he’s “excited and honored” to be in the mix for the job.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)