Oct 16, 2009, 11:19 AM EDT
* No. 1 overall pick Stephen Strasburg will make his Arizona Fall League debut today after pitching five innings for the Nationals’ instructional league team. Barring any injuries, Strasburg seems like a near-lock to be in Washington to stay by the middle of next season.
* Darryl Strawberry will be a contestant on the upcoming season of Celebrity Apprentice, where he’ll compete against the likes of Sharon Osbourne, Sinbad, Cyndi Lauper, and Bret Michaels, plus several people who push the limits of the word “celebrity.” Looking over the respective rosters, there were probably more famous people on the 1986 Mets.
* Fired by the Brewers with a dozen games remaining in 2008, Ned Yost interviewed yesterday for the Astros’ managerial opening. He’s among 10 candidates for the Houston job.
* Meanwhile, the Indians conducted a phone interview earlier this week with former Nationals manager Manny Acta, who said afterward that he’s “excited and honored” to be in the mix for the job.
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 22
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 22
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 110
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 30
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 106
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 82
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (110)