Oct 16, 2009, 11:19 AM EDT
* No. 1 overall pick Stephen Strasburg will make his Arizona Fall League debut today after pitching five innings for the Nationals’ instructional league team. Barring any injuries, Strasburg seems like a near-lock to be in Washington to stay by the middle of next season.
* Darryl Strawberry will be a contestant on the upcoming season of Celebrity Apprentice, where he’ll compete against the likes of Sharon Osbourne, Sinbad, Cyndi Lauper, and Bret Michaels, plus several people who push the limits of the word “celebrity.” Looking over the respective rosters, there were probably more famous people on the 1986 Mets.
* Fired by the Brewers with a dozen games remaining in 2008, Ned Yost interviewed yesterday for the Astros’ managerial opening. He’s among 10 candidates for the Houston job.
* Meanwhile, the Indians conducted a phone interview earlier this week with former Nationals manager Manny Acta, who said afterward that he’s “excited and honored” to be in the mix for the job.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)